An electronic sewing machine makes all kinds of DIY, home improvement, textiles and hobby projects possible and easy that would otherwise take a large amount of work and skill. Whether you just want to be able to fix your own clothes when they tear, you want to create your own new clothes from scratch, or you like the idea of monogramming things to personalize them – an electronic sewing machine will make your life easier and make the process a lot more fun.
But how do you go about buying an electronic sewing machine? What features should you be looking for?
To answer these kinds of questions, you first need to think about how you intend to use the electronic sewing machine. How often will you be using it? What jobs is it likely to be doing on the most regular basis? What is your budget?
Sure, here is a summary table for the electronic sewing machines mentioned:
|Machine||Key Features||Best For|
|Singer 7258 100-Stitch||LED Readout, Auto-Pilot Mode, Adjustable Speed||Crafting & Beginners|
|Brother XR9500PRW Project Runway||Large Bed, 100 Stitches, LED, Various Accessories||Home Sewing|
|Brother cs6000i 60-Stitch||LCD Display, LED Light, Easy Threading, Lots of Extras||Accessories|
|SINGER 8763 Curvy||30 Built-in Stitches, SwiftSmart Threading System, Automatic Needle Threader||Best Bargain|
|SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist 600-Stitch||600 Stitches, Digital Information Advisor, Large Work Surface, Stitch Editing||Beginners|
|Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW||50 Stitches, Portable, Carry Handle||Value and Portability|
|SINGER 9985 Quantum Stylist TOUCH 960-Stitch||960 Stitches, Full-Color Touchscreen, Sewing Assistance Guides||Home Sewing|
|SINGER Heavy Duty 4423||23 Built-in Stitches, Automatic Needle Threader||Home Sewing|
|Brother XM2701||27 Stitches, Lightweight, One-step Buttonholer||Portable Sewing|
|Janome 2212||12 Built-in Stitches, Reverse Lever for Locking Stitches||Advanced Sewers|
|Singer Heavy Duty 4452 With Accessories||“60% Stronger” Motor, 32 Built-in Stitch Types||Best for Hemming|
|SINGER Confidence Quilter 7469Q||Programmable Up/Down Needle, Extension Table||Best for Quilting|
|SINGER ONE Vintage-Style||Vintage Style, Automatic Needle Threader, 24 Built-in Stitches||Children or Kids Sewing Machine|
|Brother XR9550PRW||8 Different Types of Buttonholes, Extension Table, 110 Different Types of Stitches||Costume Sewers|
|Brother ST371HD, Strong and Tough||Handles Heavy Fabrics, 27 Different Stitches||Home Sewing|
|EverSewn Sparrow 30||310 Separate Stitches, Included Extension Table, Automatic Needle Threader and Cutter||Home Sewing|
|Brother Designio Series DZ3000||240 Built-in Stitches, Lots of Accessories, Large LCD Display||LCD for vision|
|Janome JW8100 Fully-featured||Extra-Wide Extension Table, 100 Different Stitches, 7 Different Buttonhole Types||Best Mending|
|Brother RSQ9185||185 Built-in Stitches, Easy Threading System||Best for Beginner|
|Janome Industrial-Grade Aluminum-Body HD1000||Aluminum Outside Shell, More Powerful Motor than Most Models||Professional Use|
|Janome 4120QDC||Larger-than-Most LCD Screen, Thread Cutter for Both Bottom and Top Threads, Many Accessories Included||Professional Use|
|Janome MOD-100||100 Different Types of Stitches for Variety, Button Controls to Lock Stitches and Start or Stop, Backlit LCD Display||Luxury Machine|
|Universal Instruments 350 Stitch||350 Stitches, Onboard Video to Record Activity, Automatic Needle Threader||Teaching|
|Janome C30||High-Power Motor, 30 Built-in Stitches, Locking Stitches and Reverse at the Push of a Button||Home Use|
|SINGER Legacy C440||250 Built-in Stitches, Embroidery Option||Budget|
|SINGER Brilliance 6180||Flexibility and Portability, 80 Built-in Stitches||Versatility|
|EverSewn Sparrow QE||70 Built-in Stitches, Suitable for Quilting||Economy Quilting|
|Janome MOD-11 Easy-to-Use||11 Built-in Stitches, Five Feed Dogs||Costume sewing|
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Electronic Sewing Machines
- 1.1 How we decide on what to buy:
- 1.2 1. Singer 7258 100-Stitch Electronic Sewing Machine– Best Crafting Machine Under $200
- 1.3 2. Brother XR9500PRW Project Runway Limited Edition Sewing Machine-Best Overall Home Sewing Machine
- 1.4 3. Brother cs6000i 60-Stitch Electronic Sewing Machine with Wide Table– Best Accessories
- 1.5 4. SINGER 8763 Curvy Electronic Free-Arm Sewing Machine
- 1.6 5. SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist 600-Stitch Electronic Sewing Machine– Best For Beginners
- 1.7 6. Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW Electric Sewing Machine– Best For Value
- 1.8 7. SINGER 9985 Quantum Stylist TOUCH 960-Stitch Electronic Sewing Machine– Best Home Sewing Machine
- 1.9 8. SINGER | Heavy Duty 4423 Electronic Sewing Machine– Best For Home Sewing
- 1.10 9. Brother XM2701 Electronic Sewing Machine– Best Portable Sewing Machine
- 1.11 10. Brother HC1850 Electronic Sewing and Quilting Machine– Best Quilting Machine
- 1.12 11. Janome 2212 Electronic Sewing Machine– Best for Advanced Sewers
- 1.13 12. Singer Heavy Duty 4452 Electronic Sewing Machine With Accessories
- 1.14 13. SINGER Confidence Quilter 7469Q Computerized Electronic Portable Sewing Machine
- 1.15 14. SINGER | ONE Vintage-Style Electronic Sewing Machine-Best For Children or Kids Sewing Machine
- 1.16 15. Brother XR9550PRW, Project Runway Limited Edition Electronic Sewing Machine– Best for Costume Sewers
- 1.17 16. Brother ST371HD, Strong and Tough Electronic Sewing Machine
- 1.18 17. Janome 7330 Magnolia Electronic Sewing Machine– Best for Professional Sewers
- 1.19 18. EverSewn Sparrow 30 Sewing Machine
- 1.20 19. Brother Designio Series DZ3000 Electronic Sewing & Quilting Machine
- 1.21 20. Janome JW8100 Fully-featured Electronic Sewing Machine
- 1.22 21. Brother RSQ9185 Electronic Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 1.23 22. Janome Industrial-Grade Aluminum-Body HD1000
- 1.24 23. Janome 4120QDC Electronic Sewing Machine
- 1.25 24. Janome MOD-100 Electronic Sewing Machine
- 1.26 25. Universal Instruments 350 Stitch Electric Sewing Machine
- 1.27 26. Janome C30 Sewing Machine
- 1.28 27. SINGER Legacy C440 Portable Electronic Sewing Machine
- 1.29 28. Brother ST150HDH Strong and Tough Electronic Sewing Machine
- 1.30 29. SINGER | Brilliance 6180 Portable Electric Sewing Machine
- 1.31 30. EverSewn Sparrow QE
- 1.32 31. Janome MOD-11 Easy-to-Use Electronic Sewing Machine
Best Electronic Sewing Machines
You also need to consider the type of needle you buy to go with the machine, whether this is a universal needle, a ballpoint needle, or an embroidery needle. Consider how large the bed is (the flat surface that you will lean on), is it big enough to fit the fabric you want to work with?
And look for the power of the motor if you are going electric which will tell you how easy it will be able to sew through thicker materials.
Finally, look for added features like laser sights, foot pedals, LED displays for easier interfacing, and safety features like jam-prevention. The number of different stitches is also important and you want to make sure that the device comes with the stitches you need. Some machines will also come with sewing patterns pre-loaded!
With that in mind, here are the best electronic sewing machines for your consideration.
How we decide on what to buy:
Our goal is to help you find the best sewing resource for your requirements. We’ll do the legwork to ensure you get the most for your money, whether you’re shopping for high-end gear or the bare essentials. We consult experts, friends, and family members who are also sewists, teachers, and/or craftspeople; we scour the Internet for information on how sewing supplies are used; we read customer reviews by real users; and, of course, we rely on our own accumulated expertise as sewists, teachers, and/or craftspeople.
1. Singer 7258 100-Stitch Electronic Sewing Machine– Best Crafting Machine Under $200
It is a good pick for beginners, not only because of the relatively low price but also because of the easy-to-load drop-in Bobbin system.
It has an LED readout for selecting the features and settings you want to use and it has an electronic auto-pilot mode that allows you to sew without using the foot pedal.
Adjustable speed adds to the versatility and a ‘stay bright LED illuminates the bed so that you can see what you’re doing.
This is our top choice for best sewing machine under $200 as the build quality is really better than what you would expect for the price.
Reviewers praise the quality of the machine, its many features, and its ease of use and scores compare very favorably with the similarly-priced competition.
It doesn’t look like anything much of course: the design is fairly basic. And at 110 volt, it’s not the most powerful machine in the world, nor does it have the biggest bed.
But this is an excellent choice for beginners that is easy to use and very reliable.
2. Brother XR9500PRW Project Runway Limited Edition Sewing Machine-Best Overall Home Sewing Machine
With a larger bed than the Singer, this is a sewing machine that would be well suited to sewing onto larger fabrics.
This large bed is made possible thanks to an extending table with supportive feet and it’s a little more powerful as well.
Once more, you get 100 different stitches and these include decorative and heirloom stitches.
The manufacturer’s description states that it is suitable for monogramming too, which opens up some additional possibilities for this machine.
Again, there is an LED as well and easy bobbin winding. An LED makes interaction simple.
There are many included accessories too and the design is once again reliable, sturdy and simple to use. For a little extra cash, this is a worthy upgrade over the Singer but it’s also a little more complex.
Here’s another Brother sewing machine we love…
3. Brother cs6000i 60-Stitch Electronic Sewing Machine with Wide Table– Best Accessories
Another well-priced sewing machine is the Brother CS6000i that comes with a wide table for larger projects.
Surprisingly powerful for the price and size with jam-resistant features and the ability to view and alter the 60 built-in stitches via an LCD display.
Although it is rather small and doesn’t provide a huge amount of information it is still a great option at this price.
An LED light helps you see what you’re doing and easy threading and easy bobbin winding make this suitable for beginners.
It’s not the best selection of features for the money but it’s another reliable and well-made machine nonetheless.
There are a ton of extras here too, including a monogramming foot, zipper foot, an accessories pouch, needle set, and more!
This model has fewer built-in stitches with only 30 included and is not the most affordable on the list either.
It’s not the best value for money overall then, though it does have one of the nicest designs in pink and white.
That and it also offers an exclusive ‘SwiftSmart’ threading system which claims to make your work quicker and easier!
And while there aren’t quite so many different stitches here, you do get many of the other features we’ve seen so far on this list, including LED for sewing when it’s hard to see, drop-in bobbin system and automatic needle threader.
5. SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist 600-Stitch Electronic Sewing Machine– Best For Beginners
If you’re looking for something a bit more capable, then the Singer 9960 is a good place to start.
Right away, you’ll get a whopping 600 different built-in stitches, with 13 full-automatic 1-step buttonholes.
The digital information advisor is a little daunting at first but offers lots of guidance and help for those just getting started.
There’s tons of manual control and a large work surface that is extendable for when you need to get more work done. This is an advantage it actually has over our top pick for a ‘full featured’ sewing machine.
Electronic autopilot makes life easier for you, while stitch editing takes the huge range of stitch choices even further by letting you alter and edit your own precisely as you want them.
Everything else is here as you’d expect including an LED display, easy Bobbin drop-in, and safety features.
6. Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW Electric Sewing Machine– Best For Value
The Brother CS5055PRW is another lower-priced machine that is actually the cheapest of the bunch at the time of writing.
Of course, you will experience some trade-offs here as a result, however.
You only get 50 stitches here, as opposed to the 50 found in the previous two machines.
Likewise, the work bed is really quite small, making it best suited to smaller fabrics.
Part of the reason for that small bed though is that there is an emphasis here on portability.
The Brother Project Runway comes with a carry handle and is ideal for moving from room to room and even taking to classes.
So it’s not the best value for money necessarily but if you have meager needs and primarily want something affordable, the Brother Project Runway is a good choice.
And it’s ideal for those that want something they can bring to class!
7. SINGER 9985 Quantum Stylist TOUCH 960-Stitch Electronic Sewing Machine– Best Home Sewing Machine
For those that want the very best available, this computerized sewing machine model doesn’t disappoint.
960 stitches build in, 13 buttonhole styles, various fonts, and lots of auto stitch settings.
The interface on the Singer 9985 is handled by a full-color touchscreen which makes it incredibly simple and easy to choose the various different fonts and patterns you want and to change settings and generally navigate your way around the options and UI.
Meanwhile, the power is easily enough to make short work of anything you throw at it while speed control allows for plenty of precision and lots of versatility.
Sewing assistance guides ensure everyone can feel like a pro – this includes audio instructions to help you know precisely what you need to be doing at any time.
There are simply more extra features and settings than many people will ever likely need! It also comes with a needle pack.
The device is generally very nicely made. Unlike some of the other more pro-level sewing machines, this one features a rounded aesthetic in pink and white.
It is well made and feels as premium as it looks.
The only potential drawback compared to some other items on this list (other than the price) is the smaller work area.
Though for many people, this won’t be an option.
If you want something that has a bit more power, tons of customization and options but still looks and feels accessible and pleasant to use, you can’t go far wrong.
8. SINGER | Heavy Duty 4423 Electronic Sewing Machine– Best For Home Sewing
Not as expensive or as expansive as the 4452, the Singer 4423 offers 27 different stitches onboard, an automatically threading needle, and Singer’s heavy-duty, and 60% stronger, motor. With all the capabilities of the 4452, this machine’s more economical offerings more than meet the demands for technical projects as well as both delicate and heavy fabrics. One of the cheaper models on this list, this Singer model is a definite contender for your best option.
- 23 built-in stitches, 12 of which are decorative
- Automatic needle threader
9. Brother XM2701 Electronic Sewing Machine– Best Portable Sewing Machine
One of the most affordable models on the list and carrying Brother’s 25-year limited warranty, this small entry-level model offers a surprising amount of features. From 27 different stitches, 6 different feet (offering even custom buttonhole sizes), and an easy load bobbin mechanism, the Brother XM2701 offers experienced users more versatility than their main machine. Offering all the same features as larger, more expensive machines, this model is great as a backup or used for portability’s sake.
- Lightweight and some options come with a carrying case
- One-step buttonholer custom makes a buttonhole for the button being used.
- Lightweight, affordable, and can even come with a carrying case.
10. Brother HC1850 Electronic Sewing and Quilting Machine– Best Quilting Machine
The Brother HC1850 has one of the largest selections of stitches at 130, which includes some beautiful decorative stitching. An extension table and specialized foot are included so the machine can easily convert for quilting. Highly affordable and reliable, the motor can handle up to 850 stitches a minute and the model is portable.
- 130 different types of stitches
- Up to 850 stitches per minute
- Easily converts for quilting
11. Janome 2212 Electronic Sewing Machine– Best for Advanced Sewers
When shopping for quality over quantity, definitely take a look at the Janome 2212. More affordable than most of their models, this machine offers the reliability and longevity known from Jenome at a price that is more affordable. With 12 stitches and a four-step buttonhole process, the machine lacks a lot of the extras offered by other machines but makes up for it in durability.
- Entry-level model from one of the best names in the industry
- 12 built-in stitches and a four-step buttonhole process.
- Reverse lever for locking stitches, for those more familiar and accustomed to them
A compact design complements the heavy-duty nature of the Singer 4452. Offering what Singer considers a “60% stronger motor,” this little powerhouse even stitches leather and canvas and can reach speeds of up to 1,100 stitches per minute. Unique button-hole feature, which creates a button-hole customized for the button of choice.
- “60% Stronger” motor with the ability to make up to 1,100 stitches a minute.
- 32 built-in stitch types
- More heavy-duty than most, it can handle single layers of canvas and even leather.
For the quilting enthusiasts, Singer offers a machine ideally suited to the task. A programmable needle means that you can choose to have the needle stay in a down position when it stops! With 98 stitches there are enough to make even the most intricate quilts and the machine can handle the layers needed, complete with batting.
- Programmable up/down needle for quilting patterns and appliques
- Extension table so quilts have a place to rest as you work.
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in bobbin
14. SINGER | ONE Vintage-Style Electronic Sewing Machine-Best For Children or Kids Sewing Machine
The vintage style of this machine reminds an experienced crafter of your grandmother’s Singer, with all the luxuries of modern machines. Offering 24 different stitches and push-button reverse, this entry-level machine is easy enough for beginners but attractive enough for more serious crafters. Up to 750 stitches a minute, this cute machine will be reliable and memorable for your own children or grandchildren!
- Cute vintage style
- Automatic needle threader and 24 built-in stitches
- Simple and clear features for ease of use
15. Brother XR9550PRW, Project Runway Limited Edition Electronic Sewing Machine– Best for Costume Sewers
The Brother 9550PRW, along with their usual 25-year warranty, has 110 different stitches to provide clothing and textile designers an amazing range of options. With an included extension table and even a monogramming foot, this model can even quilt with ease. The versatility alone combines with a fabulously affordable price to offer one of the best options available.
- 8 different types of buttonholes
- Comes with an extension table for larger projects.
- 110 different types of stitches. Which includes many decorative stitches.
Sacrificing portability for dependability, this machine is made strong for everyday use on a variety of applications. The Brother ST371HD provides 37 different stitches and can handle everything from delicate fabrics to canvas and denim. Made to last and extremely versatile, this machine offers 800 stitches a minute on even heavy fabrics, so it can easily replace a beginner model.
- Ability to handle very heavy fabrics like canvas and leather easily.
- 27 different stitches
- Great price for the durability and quality of the machine
17. Janome 7330 Magnolia Electronic Sewing Machine– Best for Professional Sewers
One of the more expensive options, Janome is renowned for high-quality machines with amazing reliability. This machine offers the home crafter more options than most machines in the category, more stitch types, and ease-of-use only found in extremely well designed products.
- Automatic needle threader and easy load bobbin
- 30 different stitches
- Locking stitch button, so no need to backstitch!
A relatively new company gaining notice, EverSewn machines are becoming synonymous with quality. The Sparrow 30, though a little more expensive than some models in the same category, offers an amazingly wide variety of options and even includes an extension table. With more than 300 different stitches and a great blush pink color, this machine offers quite a lot for the money!
- 310 separate stitches
- included extension table
- automatic needle threader and thread cutter
One of the higher-priced machines on this list, the Brother DZ3000 offers 240 different stitches and an amazing assortment of included accessories. This machine provides all that the serious crafter or professional needs in a name that you can trust.
- 240 built-in stitches
- Comes complete with tons of accessories for massive versatility
- Very large LCD display
The extra-wide extension table combines with a massive 100 stitch type to offer even quilters amazing versatility and reliability. Known for superior products, Janome’s affordable machine includes a massive amount of features for the price. With features like automatic locking stitches and the ability to convert to a free arm for smaller projects, the Janome JW8100 handles most projects easily.
- 100 different stitches
- 7 different buttonhole types
- Comes with an extra-wide extension table
Offering amazing quality for even layers of quilting, the Brother RSQ9185 is a quilter’s dream. Though only offered as refurbished on Amazon at this time, the machine offers a great number of features for a not-so-large price tag. With easy-to-drop-feed dogs, quilting free-handed is a breeze and especially so with the included extension table.
- 185 built-in stitches
- Easy threading system
- 25 year limited warranty
A truly professional-quality machine, the Janome HD1000 offers a fully aluminum outer shell unlike the plastic of most machines. Offering quality with the sacrifice of extraneous features, 14 different stitches and a four-step buttonhole feature round out the heavy-duty machine. With this machine you can sew through fabrics other machines cannot even begin to consider!
- Aluminum outside shell rather than the normal plastic
- More powerful motor than most models
- Professional quality machine
For the most advanced, this Janome model is a bucket list machine. Any project can be completed easily, it comes complete with a laundry list of attachments and accessories, like several different feet, an extension table, and even an instructional DVD) and the motor handles up to 820 stitches per minute on even the toughest materials. Other models might have more onboard features or a more affordable price, but lack the quality and reliability offered by the Janome 4120QDC.
- Larger-than-most LCD screen
- Thread cutter that does both bottom and top threads
- Includes many, many accessories
Though close in price to a lot of models offered by other brands, this more affordable Janome machine offers an amazing 100 different stitches and 7 different easy button-hole types. This model
- 100 different types of stitches for one of the widest variety available
- Button controls to lock stitches, move the needle up or down, reverse, and start or stop
- Backlit LCD display to make it easier to view the settings
Probably the model with the most interesting features, the Universal Instruments 350 is a social influencers dream. A unique built-in activity camera allows you to record your stitches for blogging or video purposes, or even just to view yourself. A tremendous 350 different stitches create a wide variety of versatility and the machine even has an onboard USB charging station for your phone or tablet.
- 350 stitches that can reportedly create over 1000 stitch patterns
- Unique onboard video to record your activity
- Automatic needle threader
You might also be interested in
- 5 Best Air Purifiers for Crafting Rooms
- 30 Best Sewing Machines for Quilting
- 5 Best Sewing Machines Under $300
- Janome 8077 Computerized Sewing Machine Review
- Janome 2212 Sewing Machine Review
A professional-level machine at an entry-level price, the Janome C30 offers a high-power motor producing up to 830 stitches a minute. With 30 built-in stitches and locking stitches and reverse at the push of a button, this machine offers more advanced users a Janome machine that doesn’t need a loan to purchase. With an automatically dropping or raising needle, that also returns to the position you set when done stitching, this versatile machine offers basic features from a quality manufacturer.
- 820 stitches per minute
- easily convert for quilting
- Great price for a high-quality machine
With an astounding 250 built-in stitches, the Singer Legacy C440 offers one of the best values for its price. This machine can even double as an embroidery machine, which few other machines offer. Geared more towards fashion than heavy-duty materials, this machine can get up to 800 stitches a minute.
- 250 built-in stitches
- up to 800 stitches per minute
- Can even offer an embroidery option
Built to handle even layers of the toughest fabric, the Brother ST150HDH handles leather and denim easily. With 7 feed dogs, this machine smoothly moves any kind of fabric. There is even a super convenient, completely automatic needle threading option.
- Built for tougher fabrics
- Backlit LCD
- 50 built-in stitches
Offering flexibility and portability, the Singer 6180 is great for most everyday crafting projects and won’t drive you to the poor house. With 80 built-in stitches, it is not a bare-bones model like most portable machines. With great size and up to 750 stitches per minute, this machine provides even the most advanced with a great combination of quality and value.
- Highly portable
- Highly affordable
- automatic needle threader
A professional-level offering from EverSewn, who is quickly becoming known for quality engineering, the Sparrow QE trades features for an amazingly reliable and sturdy machine. Suitable for the toughest and thickest layers, the thread cutter also makes this an ideal quilting machine. Investing in this quality machine, which offers 70 stitch patterns, will be sure not to disappoint!
- 70 built-in stitches
- Professional quality machine
- Suitable for quilting
An entry-level model from a renowned company, the Janome Mod 11 offers a basic amount of features and a great price for the quality. 11 built-in stitches offer the most commonly used styles and the Mod 11 comes with five feed dogs, which is generally more than other models at this price point. As a great backup or full-time machine for basic projects, the Mod 11 is more than capable of providing quality work.
- 11 built-in stitches
- Great price for the quality
- 25 year limited warranty
Want to learn more about sewing machines? Check out our Guide to the Best Sewing Machines