Features of the Singer Quantum Stylist 9985
With a range of advanced features such as pattern elongation, needle up/down for easy applique and quilting, stitch memory, an automatic thread trimmer and over 960 in-built stitches (6 alphabet styles included), the Singer Quantum 9985 is the complete package, neatly wrapped with simplicity and durability with a bow of speed on top!
Automatic Needle Threader
No matter how much of a klutz you claim to be and no matter what experience has dictated to you, threading the 9985 — spool to needle’s eye — will only take you 6 seconds. Yep, you read that right — 6 seconds! To make things even easier, the instructions for threading are printed on the machine.
A Variety of In-Built Stitches
The stunning range of 960-plus stitches on the 9985 includes 919 decorative stitches, 21 stretch stitches, 10 essential stitches, 6 alphabet-and-numerical-style stitches and 13 buttonholes.
While that sinks in, let us also tell you that the sewing machine comes with an easy-reference stitch chart (located on the machine’s upper lid) that lets you view all the stitches at a glance, enabling easy, hassle-free stitch selection. The machine is also equipped with direct-touch stitch selection.
An Extra-Large Color Touchscreen LCD
If you ever get hassled and find that you’re fumbling, never fear — the 9985 is equipped with an extra-large color touchscreen LCD that clearly and conveniently displays stitch settings, including the stitch length and width, the image of the stitch, its serial number, and the thread tension. It even recommends which presser foot you should use with a chosen stitch for best results.
Automatic Buttonhole Sewing
Buttonhole-sewing has never been more simple or precise with the 9985’s one-step buttonhole-sewing process. With the exclusive buttonhole foot, with its efficient underplate, the fabric gets sandwiched between the foot and the lower plate to give you consistent, perfect buttonholes each time, regardless of how many layers of fabric there is.
Additionally, the machine sews all the buttonholes in the same direction to minimize any gaps in the stitching or distortion of the fabric.
With the 6 alphanumeric fonts (5 standard and a Cyrillic style) and the stitch memory function, you can sew names, dates, phrases and monograms easily.
One-Touch Stitch Editing
Creating mirror images of your stitches and elongating them (up to 2-5 times longer) can be done with just the touch of a button, creating more variety in your projects. Your stitches can now look exactly as you want them to with the 9985’s outstanding stitch-editing facilities.
A Range of Accessories
The 9985 comes with a wide range of accessories, including:
- 13 presser feet
- Class-15 bobbins
- A pack of needles
- A seam ripper
- A spool pin (auxiliary)
- A lint brush
- Spool caps
- Foot control
- A power cord
- A quilting bar
- An instruction manual
- A dust cover (soft-sided)
If you thought this was all, you have another thing coming! The 9985 has various other features behind its efficiency, such as:
- An automatic locking-stitch function
- 850 stitches per minute
- A weight of 20 pounds
- Drop-in bobbin
- Automatic thread cutter
- Horizontal threading
- 7-point feeding system
- In-built reverse function
- Electronic twin needles
- A center zigzag taper
- Automatic pressure control on the presser feet
- Automated tension settings
- An extra-high presser foot lift
- Optimum power control
- Automated bobbin-winding clutch
- The 9985 is constructed with a heavy duty metal frame that ensures both — overall durability as well as skip-free stitching.
- A wide range of features and accessories lets you explore your creativity to the fullest!
- Setting up your machine takes hardly any time with features such as the automatic needle threader, the one-touch stitch selection and an LCD for assistance and guidance.
- The machine comes with an extension table to give you a larger working space, making it easier while working on big projects and quilting.
- The 9985 also has an LED-lit workspace; the 2 StayBright lights are positioned perfectly, eliminating shadows and letting you focus on the finer details and spot mistakes easily.
- A 25-year limited warranty indicates the product’s life and the manufacturer’s faith in the product.
- You cannot use the quilting bar with the walking foot, though the latter is recommended for quilting. This could pose a problem to serious quilters.
- Some users have reported durability issues, stating that parts of the machine broke or malfunctioned, such as the bobbin not working properly, the tension going off or the fabric getting stuck in the feed, after varying periods of usage (all within a few months, though).
- Though the machine comes with a 25-year limited warranty, you’ll have to carry it to the showroom; if that’s far away and you’re facing frequent problems with the machine, you’ll have to ship it which means you’ll be spending extra on the machine.
- According to some users, the machine doesn’t seem to be ideal for heavy fabrics; there have been reports of needles breaking when sewing heavy fabrics such as wool, denim, leather, and even multiple layers of fabric.
Though you’ll have to watch your (fabric) weight and keep an eye out for durability issues, we believe the Singer Quantum Stylist 9985 is unparalleled when it comes to its user friendliness and ease of use; few other machines come with such guidance and assistance! To us, the pros far outweigh the cons, as it does to most users; its convenience and overall efficiency may just convince you of the same!