Books on sewing are helpful both to beginners looking to pick up a new hobby and intermediate to advanced sewers looking to improve their skills. The books covered in this buying guide are all popular options for sewers looking to improve their technique on a wide range of sewing projects, from garment creation to home decor and more. All of the books listed here give clear instructions and feature illustrations to help you improve your sewing skills, whatever technique you decide to work on.
Best Sewing Books
Here are our sewing book reviews.
This sewing book includes instructions on how to master a wide variety of hand sewing techniques, such as hemming, fasteners and mending. It also includes instructions for clothing projects for both adults and children. Helpful information is included to help the sewer decide which tools to purchase.
- Information on 100 tools and 50 types of fabrics
- Clear instructions with close up photographs
- Includes glossary of sewing terminology
This sewing book is a great guide to creating unique sewing projects, suitable for beginning sewers or more advanced sewers looking to improve their skills. The book teaches a variety of sewing techniques and also gives instructions for projects on which these techniques can be used. It even teaches how to alter and repair garments and other sewing projects.
- Suitable for beginning to advanced sewers
- Pictures and diagrams included with instructions
- Includes directs on how to alter patterns
This sewing book begins with instructions on how to select the appropriate tools and fabric for your sewing project. It includes photos and clear instructions for a variety of sewing projects, including garments and home decor. It also includes instructions on how to add finishing touches, such as zippers, fasteners and hems.
- Information on how to get the most out of your sewing machine attachments
- Instructions on how to operate a sewing machine and serger
- Clear photos and step by step directions
This book is a must for serious sewers who want to take their garment construction skills to the next level. The author demystifies techniques used in haute couture ateliers to create garments and gives easy to follow instructions on how to use these techniques yourself. Hand and machine sewing techniques are taught in this book.
- Teaches atelier-level techniques
- Demystifies garment construction techniques
- Easy to follow layout of instructions
This book is filled with basic, step by step instructions needed to complete a variety of simple sewing projects. This book is great for beginning sewers, as it has all the information needed to start your first hand or machine sewing projects. This book is even suitable for absolute beginners, as it covers all the basic skills needed to start sewing projects.
- Includes instructions for a variety of simple projects
- Includes both hand sewing and machine sewing projects
- Detailed descriptions of materials and tools needed for each project
This sewing book offers instructions on all the essential sewing skills beginning sewers need. It also gives simple, step by step instructions for 15 sewing projects using these techniques. Each new skill is presented alongside a practice project to help you master that technique.
- Easy to follow instructions
- Detailed instructions for 15 different projects
- Teaches essential sewing skills
7. Sewing 101, Revised and Updated: Master Basic Skills and Techniques through Step-by-Step Instruction
This sewing book is designed with true beginners in mind and includes two sections, one for garments and the other for home decor projects. It introduces basic machine sewing skills with pictures and clear step by step instructions. It also includes access to online content, with demonstrations of the skills taught and the entire book in PDF format.
- Step by step instructions and photographs
- Sewing skills introduced one step at a time
- Instructions for home decor and garment projects
This book was written by Sanae Ishida, who started working on sewing projects after being diagnosed with a chronic illness and losing her corporate job. She shares how creating garments for herself and her daughter helped her regain control over her life and rediscover the joy of simple things. The projects included in this book can easily be customized based on the sewer’s personal taste.
- Includes directions for 20 simple sewing projects
- Includes instructions on how to draft your own patterns
- Provides guidance on fabric selection
This sewing guide is great for beginners and introduces a variety of sewing concepts with a sense of humor. It gives clear, concise instructions on the easiest ways to complete a variety of basic sewing projects, such as setting zippers and making pockets. This book will help you complete a variety of sewing projects easily with great results.
- Basics of sewing machine use
- Concise, step by step instructions for a variety of projects
- Guide to sewing tools
This sewing book from Svetlana Sotak gives precise instructions on how to create a variety of sophisticated projects. Projects range in size from small to large and include garments, accessories, and home decor projects. These sewing projects would add a unique touch to your home and also make great gifts.
- Instructions for sophisticated sewing projects for apparel and home decor
- Clearly written, detailed instructions
- Customization tips included
Sewing Book Buyer’s Guide
There are many things to be considered when choosing a sewing book to help you improve your sewing skills. First, you must consider your current level of skill as a sewer. There are several books in this buying guide which are suitable for absolute beginners and teach the most basic techniques for both hand and machine sewing. Alternatively, you might be an intermediate or even expert sewer and are looking to improve your skills, overall, or in a specific area such as garment construction or home decor. Most of the books covered in this guide give techniques and directions on a variety of different projects, but some focus on a specific style.
Another thing to consider when choosing a sewing book is what kind of project you want to focus on. Are you specifically looking to make home decor items or garments for adults and children? Or do you want a guide that covers many different projects in a specific style? Books presented in this guide offer a variety of options, from books that teach you basic to advanced techniques and how to apply them, to books that focus on a specific area of sewing, such as haute couture sewing techniques. Many of the books are also versatile, in that a true beginner can use them to acquire basic sewing skills and an advanced sewer can also acquire additional sewing skills.
Perhaps the most important aspect to consider when choosing a sewing book is to find one that has directions you can understand. All of the books in this buying guide have been selected for their easy to follow instructions. Although some are presented in non-traditional ways, such as as part of a memoir, all still are clear enough for even a beginning sewer to follow. Illustrations and pictures are also included so that you can see an example of what your project should look like as you work. Each book contains a variety of patterns for you to try to create finished items for yourself or as a unique gift.