If you’re a beginner at sewing and are looking for a good low-budget sewing machine, then the Singer Start 1304 is a good, portable entry-level machine to consider. The Singer Start 1304 is a good basic sewing machine with manual features, ideal for beginners who do not want tricky features that can confuse them while they are learning.
Features of the Singer Start 1304 Sewing Machine
The sewing machine offers a wide range of features and functions to help you unlock your creativity.
6 In-built Stitches
The Singer Start 1304 has 6 in-built stitches that you can choose from – satin, straight, scallop, zigzag, blind hem and a 4-step buttonhole.
This feature is a huge advantage and allows you to create the perfectly-sized buttonhole for any sized button.
Automatic Tension Adjustment
This allows you to save time by adjusting the tension of the thread automatically for the different stitch options you select.
The removable free arm of the Singer Start 1304 allows you to maneuver the garments and access difficult to reach areas. It lets you work on difficult areas such as the collar, cuffs, pant hems and smaller projects.
Dual Spool Pins
This lets you sew stitches in parallel rows, easily and quickly and lets you add security to knit garments, hems and decorative projects that otherwise need an embroidery machine.
Quick and Easy Threading
Threading the sewing machine is extremely simple and you can set it up in a jiffy, thanks to the threading diagrams that are printed on the machine.
The machine features an easy-to-use stitch dial in the front that allows you to select the stitch that you need in a single step.
Heavy-Duty Metal Frame
The heavy duty metal frame holds all the components of the sewing machine in perfect alignment and offers skip-free sewing. The metal frame makes the machine durable and long lasting.
3 Presser Feet
The Singer Start 1304 comes with 3 presser feet – the all-purpose foot is ideal for most of your sewing projects, the buttonhole foot makes it easy to sew buttonholes, make slots for ribbons, etc. and the zipper foot is perfect for sewing zippers, cording, piping, etc.
- Weighing just around 11.5 lb, the Singer Start 1304 sewing machine is a compact and lightweight machine.
- The sewing machine is easily portable and the fold-down carry handle makes it very easy to transport the machine and also carry it from one room to another.
- The machine features a cool to touch, LED light that provides bright illumination that lights up the work area and allows you to see your work clearly and the LED light is cool to touch.
- The reverse lever allows you to sew stitches in reverse and lets you secure the seams at the beginning and end in order to prevent them from unraveling.
- The Singer Start 1304 is quite powerful and can handle even thicker materials.
- The sewing machine’s motor is powerful and smooth and does not make a loud noise when operating at high speeds.
- The Singer Start 1304 offers only 6 in-built stitches, which is quite a limited range.
- The thread jams quite frequently, especially while using or winding the bobbin. This can be quite frustrating as you need to stop, disassemble the machine and reassemble it while sewing.
- The machine has a speed knob that lets you adjust the speed of the machine; however, the only way by which you can control the machine’s needle is by using the foot pedal. The speed of the machine at 750 stitches/minute is quite fast and it may take some time to get comfortable with the speed.
The Singer Start 1304 sewing machine offers all the features needed for beginner sewers and hobbyists for their sewing projects. While the machine may not have too many automatic features, it is built to last. The lightweight machine is sturdy and reliable and is an excellent, affordable choice, especially if you are just starting out.