This buying guide will help you find a sewing machine that has the features you need to complete hemming projects quickly and easily and will fit your budget.
Best Sewing Machines for Hemming
Here are our sewing machines for hemming reviews.
1. Brother CS7000i Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
The Brother CS7000i model is a great choice for sewers who want to complete a wide range of projects, including hemming with most fabrics. The free arm option allows for easy access to hems and cuffs, a great feature for hemming garments.
Eight presser feet are included, including one for creating blind stitches, so creating a blind hem is an option. The well-lit sewing area and adjustable speed allow for precise work.
- Automatic needle threader
- Wide extension table included
- Built-in free arm
2. Singer Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine
The Singer Heavy Duty 4423 model has all the features needed for hemming garments made of any type of material. The heavy duty metal frame ensures stability when sewing, even up to 1,100 stitches per minute. The free arm ensures easy access when hemming hard-to-reach areas such as pant legs.
- Heavy duty metal frame
- Automatic needle threader
- Adjustable stitch length
Check Today’s Price on Amazon
3. Brother XM2701 Lightweight Sewing Machine
The Brother XM2701 model is an affordable option for your hemming needs. The free arm allows for hemming of collars and sleeves with ease. Six presser feet come with this machine, including a narrow hem foot. It comes programmed with 27 built-in stitch patterns, including a blind hem stitch. This machine has all the features needed to create perfect seams every time.
- Automatic needle threader and top drop in bobbin system
- Versatile free arm
- LED lit work area
- 27 Unique built-in stitches: The XM2701 includes 27 built-in stitches including decorative, blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches and an auto-size buttonhole
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Included accessories: The XM2701 comes with 6 sewing feet, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, 4 bobbins, instructional DVD, manual and more
- Versatile free arm: This free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- At your side support: The XM2701 sewing machine comes with Brother At your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
- This product is intended for sale only in the US at 120 volts, and any other use or sale voids the warranty.
4. Singer Start 1304 Sewing Machine
The Singer Start 1304 model is a great option for beginners who want to learn how to hem projects such as curtains or garments. It has a free arm option to make hemming cuffs on pants and sleeves easier. The heavy metal construction and stainless steel bedplate allow for smooth feeding of heavy to light weight materials into the machine, so it is suitable to hem garments made from almost any fabric.
SINGER | Start 1304 Sewing Machine with 6 Built-in Stitches, Free Arm Sewing Machine - Best Sewing Machine for Beginners
- Heavy duty metal frame
- Stainless steel bedplate for smooth fabric feeding
- Quick and easy threading system
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Start 1304 sewing machine is basic, simple, and easy-to-use thanks to 57 Stitch Applications, all with pre-set stitch width and stitch length. Just select your stitch and start sewing
- SINGER Start 1304 Start Free Arm Model Sewing Machine has 25 Year Limited
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE: This lightweight and portable machine weighs only 7 pounds, making it great for sewing in smaller spaces or taking to sewing class
- AUTOMATIC BOBBIN WINDING SEWING MACHINE: To wind a bobbin, simply follow the numbered diagram printed on top of the sewing machine. The bobbin will automatically stop turning when it's completely filled
- SINGER Start 1304 ACCESSORIES: Includes All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot, Darning Plate, Pack of Needles, Bobbins, Needle Plate Screwdriver, Spool Pin Felts, Seam Ripper / Lint Brush, Power Line Cord, Foot Control, Quick Start Guide, Instruction Manual. Amps: 0. 6
- This sewing machine is warranted for use in the US and Canada at 110 volts only
- 110V Machine
5. Janome Arctic Crystal Sewing Machine
The Janome Arctic Crystal model is an affordable option which can be used for a wide range of projects and has all the features needed to hem anything from curtains to jeans. The free arm option allows for access to hard to reach areas such as cuffs and pant legs. Four interchangeable presser feet, including a foot for blind hemming, are included. A three piece feed dog system ensures smooth feeding of light to heavy weight materials, which makes this machine suitable for hemming garments made of a wide range of fabrics.
Janome Arctic Crystal Easy-to-Use Sewing Machine with Interior Metal Frame, Bobbin Diagram, Tutorial Videos, Made with Beginners in Mind!
- Heavy duty metal interior construction
- Three piece feed dog system
- Adjustable stitch length
- Overview Features: 15 Built-In Stitches, 4-Step Buttonhole, Front-Loading Bobbin System, Heavy Duty Interior Metal Frame
- Customizable Features: Adjustable Stitch Length & ZigZag Width, Reverse Lever, Darning Plate
- Convenience Features: 3-Piece Feed Dog System, Removable Free Arm, Dual Retractable Spool Pins
- Easy to Use: Tutorial Videos, Built-In Bobbin Diagram, Quick Start Guide Included
- Included: 4 Presser Feet, Beginner Accessories, easy-to-follow Instructional Manual, 25-Year Limited
Sewing Machine for Hemming Buying Guide
If you want to find a sewing machine you will use mainly for hemming projects, there are a variety of features to consider. This buying guide contains sewing machines that will give great results when hemming any project at a range of price points and suitable for a range of experience levels, from beginner to more advanced sewers.
One important feature to consider is what type of material you want to work with for your hemming project, or if you plan to work with a wide range of materials. For sewers who want to work with more heavy duty materials, like denim, it is important to find a machine with sturdy enough construction to handle these materials, especially since hemming involves sewing through at least two layers of fabric.
Several of the machines in this buying guide feature a heavy duty metal interior frame, which means they can handle projects with heavy duty materials and produce a smooth seam without excessive vibration.
Another feature which helps with smooth feeding of a wide range of materials is a three piece feed dog system. This works in conjunction with the presser foot to feed material of any type, from light to heavy weight, through the sewing machine without bunching or pulling.
When considering hemming projects choose a free arm option. This helps the sewer reach areas, such as hem lines and cuffs, which are more difficult to reach. This feature is also especially useful for hemming because it facilitates work on tube-shaped areas, such as pant legs and sleeves.
It is also important to consider what types of presser feet are included with the sewing machine. If you want to create a blind hem, some of the sewing machines in this guide include presser feet designed specifically for creating blind hems.
In addition, some machines also are programmed with a blind hem stitch. Some of the machines in this buying guide also allow you to adjust the length of the stitch, which will help you create the perfect stitch for whatever hemming project you choose to do.