Do you like to make your own home décor, such as drapery, accent pillows out of upholstery fabric, or hand-stitched bedding out of quilting fabric? Are you a seamstress who uses a dress form to create one-of-a-kind dresses and gowns, or denim and chambray jeans and pants? Or are you a crafter that likes to make unique gifts, such as chenille blankets or who uses an embroidery machine to embellish shopping bags, backpacks, and jackets with embroidery thread and floss?
No matter what type of projects you hand-craft, there’s no doubt that your sewing room is stocked with tons of supplies. A sewing machine, sewing fabric, a sewing desk and sewing chair are just some of the supplies you probably have on-hand. But there’s item that you definitely need to have in your collection of sewing essentials: fabric ribbons.
Fabric ribbons can be used to embellish any project, like blanket, pillows, draperies, clothing, bags, and virtually anything else you can think of. You can even use them as adornments on gifts or as hair accessories! However you plan to use them, if you’re a crafter, fabric ribbons are a must have in your sewing kit. But there are so many different types of ribbons made of fabric that it can be difficult to decide which option to choose. There’s no doubt that you want a high quality ribbon that is durable and easy to work with, but trying to sift through all the different varieties can seem like a daunting experience. To help you narrow down the options, we’ve done some extensive research, assessing countless types of ribbons. Below, we’ve compiled a list of what we consider to be the very best craft ribbons.
Fabric Ribbon Review Center 2019
Now that you’ve had a look at our top five picks for the best fabric ribbon, let’s take a closer look at each option. Below, we provide a more detailed overview of each of these ribbons. We discuss the features of the ribbons, what we like about them, and what other customers who have used these ribbons have had to say about them. After you have finished reading through the reviews and have decided on an option that you think will meet your needs the best, click on the yellow link to find the best prices currently available on Amazon.
#1 – LaRibbons Solid Color Satin Ribbon Asst. #2 – 10 Colors 3/8” x 5 Yard Each
First up on our list of the best ribbons is an option that comes from LaRibbons. Their Solid Color Satin Ribbon Asst. #2 – 10 Colors 3/8” x 5 Yard Each can be used for a wide variety of projects. They are perfect for use as hair ribbons, as embellishments on an embroidery project, hand-sewn clothing, blankets and quilts, and virtually anything else that you can think of.
This fabric ribbon is made of satin, so it has a beautiful sheen and a luxurious texture. The 3/8” width is perfect for so many different functions, and each spool features 5 yards of ribbon. You’ll receive a variety pack of vibrant colors when you order this pack of fabric ribbon, including bright royal blue, neon red, neon citrus, neon coral, neon fuchsia, neon tangerine, neon yellow, neon hot pink, bright purple, and neon shocking pink. Not only will you receive a well-constructed fabric ribbons in a variety of colors, but the price is excellent, too! Based on the reviews that we read, most customers who purchased this ribbon were very happy with it. They said that the construction and length of the ribbons were perfect, and they were very pleased with the color options and the price.
What We Like About It
- Made of satin
- 3/8 inches wide
- 10 ribbons in 10 different colors
- Each spool of ribbon is 5 yards long
Reasons to Complain
- Some users complained about the packaging of this ribbon
- Others said that they thought the fabric would be a heavier weight
Final Verdict: If you’re looking for a wide variety of satin fabric ribbons that won’t break the bank, LaRibbons Solid Color Satin Ribbon Asst. #2 – 10 Colors 3/8” x 5 Yard ribbons is a great buy. These ribbons are very well constructed, are the perfect length and width, and come in a variety of colors.Check Price on Amazon
#2 – Ribbon for Crafts Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8” Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set
Grosgrain fabric ribbon has so many different purposes; it can be used to scrapbooking, hair bows, decorative elements for gift wrap, or as an accent on hand-made clothing or accessories; for example, you can affix with a zigzag stitch on the hem of a skirt or dress. This Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set from HipGirl is an excellent buy for the money and definitely something that you are going to want to have available.
The fabric is made of 100 percent polyester and the sturdy weave of this grosgrain ribbon makes is extremely durable. It should be able to withstand regular wear and tear with ease. It’s also very easy to work with and easy to care for. You’ll receive 10 different colors of grosgrain ribbon, and each color is 2 yards long. The colors are vibrant and include black, brown, cream, white, purple, light orchid (lavender), navy, royal, light blue, emerald, apple green, baby maize, tangerine, light pink, hot pink, shocking pink, red, green, yellow gold, turquoise, and daffodil. According to the numerous reviews that we read, most of the customers that have purchased and used this fabric ribbon are very happy with it. Users said that the ribbon was high quality, well made, easy to work with, very durable, and a great value. They were also pleased with the color selection and length.
What We Like About It
- Made of 100 percent polyester
- Comes with 20 different vibrant colors
- Each color is 2 yards long
- Each ribbon is 3/8 inch wide
- Can be used for a variety of purposes
Reasons to Complain
- Some customers said that they had issues with fraying
Final Verdict: This HipGirl Grosgrain ribbon is a must have for your craft room. It’s well made, comes in a variety of brilliant colors, and can be used in a myriad of ways.Check Price on Amazon
#3 – QuingHan Boutique 40 Yard (20 x 2 yd) 3/8” Polka Dot Grosgrain Ribbons for Gifts Wrapping
If you’re looking for a grosgrain ribbon that has a bit more flair, this package from QingHan Boutique is a fantastic choice. The pack comes in a variety of colors and each one features a sweet polka dot print. Colors include white, ivory, pink, hot pink, fuchsia, red, coral, orange, yellow, apple, green, emerald, tornado blue, turquoise, lavender, purple, tan, brown, gray, navy, and black.
Each ribbon in this pack is 3/8” wide and 2 yards long. The fabric is very durable and the ribbons are well constructed. The sturdy weave is very durable and each ribbon is heat sealed to prevent the ends from fraying. You can use these ribbons for so many purposes; hair bows, headbands, gift wrap, accents on clothing or handbags, draperies, or decorations for the home. The majority of the reviews that we read indicate that most of the customers who have purchased this ribbon are very happy with it. They mentioned that it is well made, durable, the colors are very vibrant, and the polka dot design is fun.
What We Like About It
- The pack comes with 20 different colors of ribbon
- Each ribbon features a fun polka dot print
- The grosgrain ribbon is soft and heat sealed to prevent fraying
- Each ribbon is 3/8” wide and 2 yards long
- Can be used in so many ways
Reasons to Complain
- Some customers complained about the packaging
- Others said that the actual size was smaller than advertised
Final Verdict: QingHan Boutique 40 yd (20 x 2yd) 3/8” Polka Dot Grosgrain Ribbons feature a wide selection of vibrant colors and a cute polka dot design. The ribbons are very well made, durable, and easy to work with.Check Price on Amazon
#4 – Duoqu 7/8 Single Face Satin Ribbon 50 Yards (25 x 2yd) 25 Colors Assorted
Another fantastic high quality fabric ribbon is this option from Duoqu. This ribbon is made of 100 percent polyester and is single face satin. The sturdy weave, soft texture, and the sheen make this the perfect ribbon to use for so many different projects. You can use it to dress up your hair, to decorate gifts, to add interest to clothing or accessories, or to put a pop of color and interest on your craft projects, such as cards or scrapbooks.
This pack features 25 ribbons in a variety of bold colors. The colors include light pastel pink to vibrant hot pink, soft white, gray, neon green, deep forest green, lilac purple, royal purple, vibrant orange, pale blue, royal blue, daffodil yellow, tan, brown, black, and burgundy. Each ribbon is 7/8” wide and 2 yards long. Most of the reviews that we read were very positive. Customers said that they were very pleased with the construction and that they found it was easy to work with. They also like the durability, softness, and sheen of the ribbons.
What We Like About It
- 100 percent polyester single face satin
- Sturdy weave for durable construction
- 25 different colors
- The colors are bold and beautiful
- Each ribbon is 7/8 inch wide and 2 yards long
Reasons to Complain
- Some customers said that ribbon was smaller than what they expected it to be
- Others said that they had some issues with fraying
Final Verdict: Whether you’re looking for fabric ribbons to embellish a craft project, apparel, quilts, home décor, or to use as a hair accessory, Duoqu 7/8” Single Face Satin Ribbon 50 Yards (25 x 2yd) 25 Colors Assorted is a fantastic choice. It’s well constructed, durable, easy to work with, and the colors are so vibrant.Check Price on Amazon
#5 – LaRibbons Polk Dot Grosgrain Ribbon
Last, but most certainly not least, on our list of the best fabric ribbons is this package from LaRibbons. Their Polka Dot Grosgrain ribbons comes in 16 vibrant colors, including white, pink, purple, different shades of blue, green, black, and brown. The ribbons feature a cute polka dot design, and the colors of the polka dots vary, including white, black, pink, red, and turquoise.
The ribbons in this package are made of 100 percent polyester and the weave is very sturdy, so you can be sure that they are extremely durable. They can be washed in the machine and tumbled dry for easy care, and since their colorfast, they color won’t run or fade. According to the reviews that we read, most of the customers who purchased this ribbon are very happy with it. They said that it is great for a wide variety of projects, such as hair bows, gift wrap, and embellishments on clothing.
Reasons to Complain
- Some customers complained about the packaging of these ribbons
- Others said that they had issues with fraying
Final Verdict: If you’re looking for cute, well made, and vibrantly colored fabric ribbons, this package of Polka Dot Grosgrain Ribbon from LaRibbons will be sure to please. It features 16 vibrant colors and each color has a sweet polka dot print in a complimentary color.Check Price on Amazon
The Best Cloth Ribbon: A Buyer’s Guide
Of all the different sewing supplies that are out there, craft ribbons are, without a doubt, some of the most useful. They can be used for so many different purposes, which make them a must-have for your collection of sewing or craft supplies. But, trying to purchase fabric ribbons can be a bit of a daunting prospect. There are so many different options out there that trying to select the best option can be pretty overwhelming.
If you’re trying to find the best fabric ribbon, we’ve tried to take some of the guesswork out of your shopping experience by assembling this handy buyer’s guide for you. Below, you’ll find some useful information that you can use to help you find the very best fabric ribbon possible.
Types of Fabric Ribbons
When you’re shopping for craft ribbon, it’s helpful to know what types of options are available. With this information, you will be able to select the best ribbon for your intended purpose. Below, we highlight some of the most popular types of craft ribbons:
- This is one of the most versatile types of craft ribbon. It’s usually made of polyester or a cotton-poly blend, and the material is woven in a way so that the fibers are thick and lengthwise. This type of fabric ribbon is a little bit stretchy, so it’s the ideal option for things like edging and trimming. You can find grosgrain fabric ribbon in a wide assortment of colors and it’s usually pretty budget-friendly.
- This is another very popular type of craft ribbon. It’s used for a variety of purposes, such as hair bows, sashes on dresses, and edging on blankets. Despite the fact that it’s called “satin”, however, this type of ribbon is actually made out of polyester. Satin craft ribbon can be either single- or double-faced; the former is a great choice for wrapping gifts or for making hair bows, while the latter is perfect to use for home décor projects.
- Named for the weaver who invented it, Joseph Marie Jacquard, jacquard craft ribbon features the same patter on both sides, except the colors are inversed on one side; so, one side would be a brighter color and the other side would be more pale. The durable construction and decorative appearance make jacquard fabric ribbon the perfect option for decorative home décor projects; however, like all types of ribbon, you can use it in a multitude of ways.
Fabric ribbon is also made out of a number of other materials; however, these three are the most commonly used.
Fabric Ribbon: Factors to Consider
When you’re purchasing fabric ribbon, there are some factors that you are going to want to keep in mind so that you can choose the best option to meet your needs. These factors include:
- How wide do you want the ribbon to be? The width of craft ribbon does vary, and you want to ensure that you choose a width that will work the intended purpose of the ribbon.
- In addition to the width, you also want to make sure that you purchase the right length. Typically, fabric ribbon is sold in yards, so make sure that you measure appropriately before you purchase.
- If you plan on using the ribbon as a decorative element on clothing, accessories, or home décor, you want to choose something durable. The more durable it is, the longer it will maintain its color and shape.
Summing It Up
There are so many different ways that craft ribbons can be used. From headbands and hair bows to home décor and scrapbooks, fabric ribbon serves a wide variety of purposes. When selecting a craft ribbon, do make sure that you consider the durability, width, length, and type so that you can make sure that you are selecting a high quality ribbon that will work for your intended purposes.