The fabric for slipcovers for couches, or for reupholstering a couch, should be carefully considered. Couches see a lot of hard wear. They are a high traffic area. Furniture can be a large expense, when purchased new, so it’s a great idea to design a slipcover to protect the fabric. A slipcover can do much of the hard work, protect against sun fading, against wear, and against spills. An older couch can also be slipcovered or reupholstered. Kids especially can be hard on furniture, and since slipcovers or reupholstering a couch can require a large amount of fabric, fabrics that are durable, hard wearing, and also easy to launder are likely going to be the best choices.
Best Couch Fabric for Kids
Here are our best couch fabric for kids reviews.
Cotton duck is a great material for slipcovers, especially for couches. Cotton duck has many benefits. It is generally smooth and resistant to snagging and tears. It is easy to launder. Cotton duck is sometimes weather resistant. It is very durable and hardwearing.
- This cotton duck is 100% cotton and is medium weight
- Machine was with cold water and milk detergent and air dry only (do not dry clean)
- Perfect for slipcovers, as well as window treatments, upholstery projects, toss cushions and more
This fabric line is made from 100% polyester and is perfect for both indoor and outdoor use. The fabric is medium weight, but that doesn’t make it any less durable. In fact, the fabric meets and exceeds durability expectations. It also has many features which make it perfect for slipcovering a couch that is going to see a lot of wear and tear. The fabric is breathable, is UV resistant, fade resistant and has minimal shrinkage.
- Perfect for slipcovers, but is also great for table tops, pillows, totes, and other upholstery projects
- Fabric is dry clean only
- This line comes in many different patterns and colors
Bull denim is made of 100% cotton. It is generally very smooth and extremely durable, which makes it a good choice for slipcovering a couch. It is perfect for upholstery, slipcovers, toss cushions, window treatments, tote bags, and more.
- Machine wash with warm water and no bleach, tumble dry
- This line comes in a variety of colors to choose from
- This line of bull denim is heavyweight and is an extra tough fabric
Polyester/cotton blends are often a popular choice for making slipcovers. Both fabrics are very durable and are generally easy to wash. They are great for high traffic areas and are hard wearing. Polyester/cotton blends also tend to resist shrinking, and this medium weight twill fabric is no exception. It is actually preshrunk.
- The fabric is a blend of 65% recycled polyester and 35% organic cotton
- The fabric is soft and luxurious feeling and is also colorfast
- Machine wash cold, tumble dry on low heat
Cotton canvas is an excellent choice for slipcovers. Cotton is usually soft to the touch and breathes well. It is extremely durable and holds up to a high amount of wear and tear. Cotton can generally be laundered easily at home. Cotton is also extremely versatile. It can be casual or add a touch of simple luxury to any room.
- This fabric is heavy weight and is 100% cotton
- Extremely budget friendly
- Machine wash and tumble dry- but remove from dryer promptly when done
Couch Fabric for Kids Buying Guide
Slipcovers are a great way to reduce waste, help the environment, save money, and get creative. If you think that choosing a fabric that can stand up to kids is going to limit your selections, think again! There are tons of durable fabrics that you can choose from, even if things might get messy. As an added bonus, many of these fabrics are fairly easy to wash.
Most people really like saving money. Slipcovers can revitalize an older piece of furniture. They can bring an older piece back to life, or update and modernize it. New furniture can be expensive, and using something you already have helps save money. In addition, slipcovers go a long way in protecting your investment. If you do purchase new furniture, using a slipcover to protect that furniture from spills or damage can really prolong the life of your couch.
Indoor/outdoor fabrics can actually be a great choice for couch slipcovers. These fabrics have added properties that make them stain and water resistant. Kids can be pretty hard on furniture and most parents know that spills are going to happen at one time or other. Having a fabric that either launders easily or can just be wiped down.