Are you wondering which is the best batting for homemade quilts but can’t find the right answer? It’s easy to get confused while looking through the plethora of options. There are plenty of different brands with different features that come at different prices.
I’m sure you will agree with me that choosing the right batting for your quilt online can be really difficult.
Or is it?
Don’t worry, because all your troubles end here! In this article, I will walk you through some of the common types of batting and help you decide which is the best for your quilt.
Batting – Why You Need It
The most commonly used product when quilting a bedspread or a blanket is the batting, which serves both as the quilting foundation and as the fabric from which the finished product is made. Typically batting will consist of a series of thin layers and it is the thickness of these layers that determines the final appearance of the quilt.
The thickness of the batting determines the style of quilting, i.e., thick batting will produce a quilt with a heavier style than a thin batting would. A batting that is too thin is not an option and would just not result in a finished product worthy of your attention.
How to Design a Quilt
Once you have decided on the batting, it is time to move on to the quilting design. There are generally two ways to design a quilt; either a right or a wrong side quilt.
Most people choose the wrong side to quilt when they are quilting a bedspread because it is more challenging as you have to follow the seams to get the correct fabric used. You simply pull one of the fabric pieces past the first stitch with the correct side and then attach it to the batting. Once this is completed, the piece is right sides together and the job is done. It is usually easier to quilt a bedspread this way, but not necessary.
How to Assemble a Quilt
Once the quilt is finished, it will be ready for its quilting frame, often made of strong yet lightweight material such as denim or cotton. Several quilting wadding suppliers online can help you determine the best materials for your particular project. If you are a beginner, I would highly recommend getting some quilting backing sheets, as well as a quilting frame to make quilting even easier. In addition to helping you make the right decisions about your quilting material, these suppliers also provide valuable advice about the frame, batting, and backing that are necessary to complete the quilt.
Best Batting For Homemade Quilts Product Reviews
There are many names for batting. Whether you call it quilt wadding, quilt padding, quilt stuffing/filling, purchasing one is a vital decision. Quality batting can drastically change and improve the overall look and feel of your quilt.
A quick search on Google will show you that there are a variety of different options for batting today. This makes the task of purchasing good batting a lot more difficult.
But that’s why I’m here to help. In this article, you will read and find out about all the best batting for homemade quilts. So, let’s jump right in!
If you’re looking for the best batting for your homemade quilt, look no further! Your search for the best cotton quilt batting has come to an end.
Our trophy winner for the best batting for homemade quilts is the Warm 2341 Company Cotton Quilt Batting. It has an incredible 4.9/5 star ratings and stands as one of the top-tier bedding products in the market today.
This batting quilt is a perfect blend between cotton and polyester. If you take a close look, you will notice the base has several needles. These help the fiber to sit securely in place without moving too much.
Additionally, they also do not use any glue, allowing you to glide through the fabric smoothly.
They are machine-friendly as well and can absorb dyes easily.
- Product dimensions: 16.5 inches x 11.5 inches x 8 inches
- Weight of the batting: 2 ounces
- Made of 87.5% pure cotton material and 12.5% polyester fibers
- The base of the material is covered with small needles to prevent unnecessary movement
- The polyester fibers are held together in place without glue
- The needle design is such that it can glide through the polyester fibers easily
- Made of pure cotton material and polyester fabrics
- The needles help the material to stay in place
- The needles glide through the fabric smoothly
- Pre-washing is not required
- It is machine friendly
- The material also absorbs dyes fast
- Affordable price.
- It can absorb unnecessary stains quickly as well
Similar to the previous model, the Angel Crafts and Sewing Cotton Batting for Quilts is also 100% pure and soft cotton material. It is the perfect choice if you are looking for batting for your upholsteries, cushions/pillows, and, of course, quilts.
The best thing about this is that it is suitable for all weather conditions. Similar to the previous model, these can also be machine washed.
- Product dimensions: 13.9 inches x 12.91 inches x 4.61 inches
- Weight of the batting: 1.45 pounds
- Made of 100% pure and premium cotton material
- Made to be suitable for all weathers
- The stitches of this bedding are all located 8 inches apart
- The cotton material is both gentle and soft, which will give you maximum comfort
- Manufactured by a reputable brand
- Made of 100% soft and premium cotton material
- Suitable for all seasons and weather
- It is suitable for upholsteries, cushions/pillows, quilts, etc.
- It is also suitable for sleeping or hanging on a wall
- There is no requirement to pre-shrink the batting
- Reasonably priced
- Some users have reported the batting to be a lot thinner than expected
Let’s look at the model’s features to understand this better, shall we, folks?
The main thing about this is its material. It is 100% polyester material. This makes the fabric incredibly soft, smooth, and very uniform. Therefore, it is best suited for a medium loft.
The quilt also comes with a glazing finish that holds the fabric together and keeps it secure. Moreover, it is also very easy to handle.
- Product dimensions: 5.5 inches x 5.5 inches x 15 inches in length, width, and height
- Weight of the batting: 3.2 ounces
- Made of 100% pure polyester material
- Comes with a smooth glazing finish
- Made of 100% high-quality polyester material
- The material is very soft, smooth, and uniform
- It is fairly easy to handle
- Best suited for a medium loft
- Comes with a glazing finish that keeps the material in place
- It can be quilted or can even be bind at 5 inches
- Affordable price
- The size is a little too small
But before you decide to add this to your cart, take a quick look at its features, pros, and cons. This will help you make a smart decision.
This batting quilt is made of 100% fusible polyester material. This gives the quilt a lot of flexibility. They are designed for use for arts and crafts, and they are guaranteed to add softness to your project. You can also use them on the sewing machine without worry.
Additionally, they are very easy to handle as well.
- Product dimensions: 1 inch x 11 inches x 13 inches
- Weight of the batting: 0.32 ounces
- Made of high quality, acid-free polyester material
- Designed for versatility
- Suitable for home décor purposes, arts, and other crafts
- Designed to add an element of softness
- Made of 100% fusible polyester material
- Best suited for arts and crafts purposes
- Adds softness to your crafts
- It can be machine washed
- Suitable for use on the sewing machine
- It is easy to handle
- Affordable price
- Some users have reported trouble with the bonding factor
It has excellent 4.7/5 star ratings, and it stands out for all the right reasons. Hence, let’s take a detailed look at the Hobbs Batting Heirloom Quilt Batting’s features, pros, and cons.
As mentioned earlier, this product is also a blend between cotton and fabric. The built is such that it can last for a long time and withstand wear and tear.
Thanks to the spray bonding, the fabric sticks together for a long time and does not move too much. Additionally, they also have needles for more support. They can be used for upholsteries, carpets, pillows, cushions, etc., and are very versatile.
- Product dimensions: 24.5 inches x 14.5 inches x 15 inches
- Weight of the batting: 0.63 kilograms
- Material is of a good blend and designed for longevity
- It is punched with needles
- Comes with spray bonding to give durability
- Batting is of a high-quality blend of 2 materials
- Very durable and lasts long
- The spray bond keeps the fabric bonded well
- Very versatile
- Reasonably priced
- Some users have reported the batting to be very thin
Presenting the Mybecca Multipurpose Quilt Batting: comes with an affordable price but also has a commendable 4.5/5 star ratings.
Before you decide to purchase this batting from Mybecca, my advice to you is to take a look at its features, pros, and cons. This way, you will be able to make a more well-informed decision!
The material is made of 100% polyester Dacron material that gives all your projects a smooth, clean finish. The material is also quite long and goes up to 5 yards long. They are perfect for use for revamping your upholsteries, cushions, pillows, bedspreads, walls, and so on.
- Product dimensions: 11.3 inches x 10 inches x 7.7 inches
- Weight of the batting: 2 pounds
- Made of high-quality polyester Dacron material
- Designed to give all your projects a smooth, clean finish
- Designed to be suitable for various purposes
- Gives all your projects a smooth, comfortable look and feel
- Made of a thick, 100% polyester Dacron material
- Very easy to handle and cut
- Offers the user a lot of material that goes up to 5 yards long
- It can be used for upholsteries, pillows and cushions, bedspreads, and so on
- Gives a very smooth, rounded, comfortable finish to all your projects
- Affordable price
- Batting can be a little thin
Things To Consider Before Buying A Batting For Homemade Quilts
Buying a batting quilt can sometimes be a tad bit overwhelming. What initially seemed like an easy task might now be a lot more complicated. That usually happens when you find yourself drowning with so many options.
If you’ve previously looked for batting, you’ll know the struggle. But that’s why I’ve created a handy buyer’s guide! Don’t worry; this guide contains all the key factors that you need to look for while buying a batting quilt.
Hence, by going through this, you will be able to quickly find the perfect batting quilt that is best suited for you!
The Thickness Of The Batting
If you are someone who is shopping fo quilt batting you may not be familiar with the term “loft.” So, allow me to explain it to you: the loft is usually how you can identify the thickness of batting.
For better understanding, here is an example. If a batting says, “low loft”, it usually means the batting is very thin. However, if it says “high loft”, it means the material is very thick.
If you want to purchase a very lightweight batting, you can go for something that says, “low loft.” The best batting for the low loft is bamboo batting.
However, if you want something with a little more volume, I would recommend the “high loft” batting. The best example of the high loft is wool batting because it is very thick. Additionally, it also provides you with a lot of warmth.
Cost And Budget
Purchasing a batting quilt is not necessarily a very heft investment. However, setting a budget can definitely help in controlling your expenses.
Hence, if you are interested in saving money, you can opt for polyester batting quilts. However, if you are searching for something a little pricier, you can purchase cotton batting or wool batting.
Levels Of Warmth
One of the most primary functions of a batting quilt is to keep you warm and snug. So if you are looking for something that will give maximum warmth and comfort, the best choice will be wool batting quilts.
Wool offers a lot more warmth than cotton and polyester. However, keep in mind that cotton and wool are more breathable.
Size Of The Batting Quilt
How big is too big? When it comes to batting quilts, a lot of different brands manufacture products of different sizes. Therefore, you need to purchase a batting quilt based on the size of your project.
If your project is big and involves a lot of batting, it is best recommended to go for a long-sized product.
However, if you only need a little bit of batting for your quilt, you can go for a smaller-sized product. This includes small crafty projects that DIY fanatics enjoy!
Usability Of The Batting Quilt
Another key factor to consider is the usability of the batting quilt. This includes washability, thickness, etc.
By washability, I mean ease of handling, cleaning, and maintaining. For example, most batting quilts are easy to wash, and they are also machine-friendly. A good example here is a cotton batting quilt.
However, some require a lot of care. Wool batting quilts, for example, come with a set of rules for cleaning and maintenance.
Coming over to the thickness, you need to purchase a batting quilt that can be cut easily and sewn easily. This is especially applicable to DIYers, as they purchase batting quilts for craft purposes. If this is the case, you will need to easily cut through the fabric without any difficulties.
Most batting quilts are also sewing-friendly, so this is something that can be easily applicable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Unlike every home improvement product, I also get a lot of questions regarding batting quilts. Listed below are a few of them with their answers.
Cotton and polyester are great materials for a quilt batting. They both have several features, and they are very useful.
However, cotton batting quilts are preferred over polyester. Cotton can be easily cleaned and maintained. Keep in mind that they are machine-friendly too! Additionally, they are also more breathable.
Out of the three major materials, wool is the most preferred quilt for warmth. This is because wool material, in general, is very soft and warm. Moreover, woolen batting quilts also do not have any memory, which keeps them free from developing any creases.
It is for this reason that wool batting is the most popular choice for warmth.
If you are setting up a quilt for your baby, the best choice is cotton batting quilts. This is because the fabric is extremely soft and will not cause any irritation for your baby. Moreover, they are very easy to clean, and they are known to be very breathable fabrics.
My recommendation is a cotton material as the best option for baby quilts
With batting for homemade quilts available in countless shapes, sizes, and brands, buyers may easily get confused. The product reviews and buyer’s guide in the article above will help anyone pick the best when they want to purchase batting for homemade quilts.
Keep in mind the thickness, size, warmth level, and utility of your batting, and then set a budget before making the purchase. So, what are you waiting for? Buy the best batting for homemade quilts today!