Many different items can be used to make a green screen at home. Green screens are typically used for film, and enable the background to be replaced with a different image. A green screen can be made with many different materials or fabrics. While professional green screens are often made of a nylon/spandex fabric that stretches out tight, a green screen can be made with pretty much any fabric, as long as it is smooth and wrinkle free.
Best Fabric for Green Screens
Here are our fabric for green screen reviews.
Almost any fabric can be used for a green screen at home as long as it is free of wrinkles. This canvas fabric is medium to heavyweight. The fabric is durable and versatile. The Kaufman Big Sur Canvas line of fabrics has many other shades of green available as well.
- Machine wash on cold and tumble dry on low heat
- The fabric is perfect for other projects including window treatments, tote bags, pillows, slipcovers, and upholstery as well
- Fabric is 100% cotton
This canvas fabric is 100% polyester and is heavyweight. It is extremely durable and is often used in outdoor applications, but can be used indoors as well. The canvas is extremely tough, but is also very versatile. This green is quite bright, and since the fabric is so heavyweight, it should be easier to hang or use on a frame.
- The fabric can be cleaned by wiping down with a damp cloth
- There are other shades of green available in this line as well
- Can be used for a wide variety of projects from marine applications, upholstery projects, accessories and more
This polyester (90%) and spandex (10%) blend is a medium to heavyweight fabric. May professional green screens are made of fabric that have some stretch so that the fabric can be stretched over a frame or hung without wrinkles. While this fabric isn’t professional green screen material, it does have some stretch and is durable.
- Can be used for many projects like apparel, accessories, and crafting projects as well
- Machine wash, tumble dry on low heat
- The fabric features 15% four way stretch
This broadcloth fabric is a blend of 65% polyester and 35% cotton. It is a bright shade of green, which helps ensure that foreground objects won’t blend in with the background. This line of poly cotton broadcloth also comes in other shades of green like Hunter and Flag Green.
- Fabric has a tight weave with a full bodied drape
- Machine wash on cold, tumble dry on low heat
- Can be used for many other projects including window treatments, bedding, table cloths, and apparel projects
Thought flexible fabrics often work well for making a green screen, other materials can be used as well as long as they are smooth and ironed or steamed to be free of wrinkles. This lightweight broadcloth is made from 100% cotton and is quite a bright shade of green.
- Machine wash cold, tumble dry on low heat
- Has the Confidence in Textiles Certification
- There are other shades of green in this line as well
Fabric for Green Screens Buying Guide
Green is the go-to color for green screen, but it might come as a surprise to find that many other colors have been used with success. Green is used because it won’t generally match or blend with the actors in front of the screen so that nothing will be accidentally edited out after, plus brighter shades of green won’t usually match the shade of eyes or a person’s skin tone.
Shades of Green
While it is possible to use almost any other solid color for a green screen (and make sure that nothing matches that color that the actor is wearing), green and blue are generally the most popular colors used and of those two, green is generally used more. If you would really like to stick with green, bright shades of green often work well. Try and be sure to get fabric that is not going to give off a reflection.
Green screen fabric can be set up in many different ways. A frame can be purchased and the fabric can be hung from it. The fabric can also be taped, pinned, or clamped up. The most important thing is that the fabric is hung as free of wrinkles and creases as possible. Part of the trick to using a green screen is the lighting, which can help make fabric look uniform and smooth as well.