Best Cosplay Sewing Patterns
Here are our cosplay sewing pattern reviews.
1. Simplicity 8769 Misses’ Costume Coats H5
This pattern can create two, slightly different coats. Diversify and customize this coat by changing out the fabric or accent pieces. This coat could be a great choice for many different cosplay costumes, depending on the type, style, and color of fabric used. Steampunk, pirate, and military are just some of the options that this coat could be used for.
- Purchase this pattern for just over thirteen dollars
- The amount of fabric required, as well as trims and embellishments, are listed on the pattern
- This coat is available in sizes 6-14
2. Simplicity 8772 Misses’ Costumes H5
This pattern is perfect for Day of the Dead enthusiasts, and could also work well for zombie, steampunk, or even western themes by altering fabric choices, colors, and embellishments. This pattern includes three variations of this dress, and is great for cosplay, Halloween, costume parties, and more.
- Fabric amounts and requirements are listed on pattern
- Purchase this pattern for under seventeen dollars
- Pattern works for sizes 6-14
3. Simplicity 8775 Misses’ Costumes R5
Nothing says fifties or rockabilly like a poodle skirt. This costume could be a great choice for retro wear, cosplay, dramas and plays, 50’s theme nights, Halloween, and more. This skirt pattern is essentially the same, but can be personalized with appliques purchased right from Simplicity. Change it up by picking different colored fabric.
- This sewing pattern suggests fabrics and lists amounts of fabric needed
- Purchase this pattern for under thirteen dollars
- This pattern works for sizes 14-22
4. McCall’s M7821 Men’s Costume MWW
This pattern includes both a coat and vest. Though the pattern doesn’t have variations on either, both can be customized by selecting different colors and types of fabric and by using different embellishments. This pattern would be suitable for themes like steampunk, pirate, western, and so much more.
- Pattern will work for sizes 38-44
- Purchase this pattern for under twelve dollars
- Pattern does list how much fabric is needed for items
5. McCall’s M7854 Misses’ Costume Pattern A5
This costume is highly customizable by selecting different colors and types of fabric to sew from. Add embellishments and trims for even further customization. Two different length costumes can be made using this pattern. This wonderful dress would be great for cosplay and could fit into many different genres.
- This pattern is for sizes 6-14
- Pattern lists amounts of fabric to be purchased
- Pattern can be purchased for under twelve dollars
Cosplay Sewing Patterns Buying Guide
Cosplay is an exciting passion for many people. To some, it’s far more than a hobby. Serious cosplayers often invest a large amount of money and time into their costumes. That said, there are many people who aren’t as serious about spending lots of money on a costume, but still enjoy it. No matter if you’re just starting out or what your budget is, there are many different costume patterns that can often be personalized or altered to help fit into character.
Cosplay on a Budget
Cosplay is a passion for many different people. If you’re on a budget, don’t fear. You can still make a great costume. It might take slightly altering a pattern, getting creative, finding that special fabric, and pairing it all with unique embellishments and accessories. Many costume patterns, while maybe not made specifically for cosplay can still work, especially if you have time not only to make the costume, but to figure out what to pair with it.
While cosplay is definitely its own passion for a lot of people, others will want to re-use their costumes. Having a costume that is quite versatile and can be used more than once makes spending a bit more money on it worth it. Having a good quality costume that is well made and fits just for you is a great thing to have in the wardrobe. Use it time and time again for things like theme nights, special events, costume parties, Halloween, and other events.