Features of the Juki HZL-LB5100 Sewing Machine
Equipped with a ton of user-friendly features and functions ranging from basic to advanced, the Juki HZL-LB5100 is simple, compact and caters equally efficiently to beginners and professionals alike.
100 Built-In Stitches
The LB5100 is equipped with a stunning 100 built-in stitches, including decorative and utility stitches that are perfect for any kind of project, from making a quilt to hemming an edge. Some of the included stitches are zigzag stitches, stretch stitches, buttonholes (one step), knit stitches, overedge stitches and other basic stitches.
Of course, you can’t be expected to keep all 100 stitches in mind, which is why the machine comes with a stitch chart that lets you view all the stitches at a glance.
To make it easier to work in areas with inadequate lighting or work into the wee hours of the night without having to switch on all your lights and wake the rest of the household, the LB5100 comes equipped with an LED-lit workspace that lets you focus on the finer details and spot any mistakes, however minute they may be, without the need for any extra lighting.
Additionally, the lighting is situated right above the needle plate area, minimizing the risk of getting your fingers pricked. We all know how well pricking her finger worked for Princess Aurora!
Built-In Automatic Needle Threader
Threading a needle is one of those things that just never seems to get any easier for some of us, no matter how many times we do it. Thankfully, machines like the LB5100 come along, with their built-in automatic needle threaders that make quick work of threading small threads through equally small needles.
With an advanced backlit LCD, you can choose stitches easily and adjust the width and length (maximum 5 mm for basic and 7 mm for zigzag) of the stitches as desired. All it takes is a few buttons for a smooth, hassle-free stitching experience sans any second guessing!
7-Point Feed Dog System
In order to efficiently handle any fabric, however light or heavy it is, the LB5100 is equipped with a 7-point feed dog system that, along with the drop feed system, facilitates free-motion sewing to let you quickly and easily finish large projects such as quilts and dresses.
A Range of Accessories
The LB5100 comes with a range of accessories to further smoother your stitching experience, such as:
- 6 presser feet (zigzag, satin stitch, blind stitch, zipper, buttonhole and overcasting presser foot)
- A lint brush
- Spool caps
- A spool stand
- A seam ripper
- An extra spool pin
- A pack of needles
- A hardcover
- An instruction manual with DVD
- A power cord
- A screwdriver
The LB5100 also has a ton of other advanced features, such as:
- Variable speed override
- Drop-in bobbin
- Stop/start functions
- Needle up/down function
- Free arm for easily sewing round edges like cuffs, collars, sleeves and pants
- 700 stitches per minute
- Weight of 12.3 pounds
- 5-year manufacturer’s warranty against mechanical defects, 2 years against electrical and 90 days against defects in workmanship or material
- Lightweight and portable.
- Engineered for user convenience with features such as a lit workspace, a wide range of built-in stitches and an automatic needle threader.
- Simple and easy-to-use.
- Maximum results with minimum effort.
- Highly versatile; can be used easily on a variety of projects, regardless of the material weight and type.
- Caters to beginners and experts alike; is simple enough for beginners but not too simplistic for advanced users.
- Easy setup.
- Great for thick fabrics.
- Even, consistent, high-quality stitches.
- Operates rather loudly.
- Some users complained of malfunctions such as the bobbin thread tangling or snagging while the machine was in use.
- Some users also stated that the free arm was too large to sew easily and the machine skipped stitches when the needles were changed.
- Some users also found the light too dim.
Overall, after weighing the pros and cons, the Juki HZL-LB5100 emerges a strong contender for the title of “best sewing machine”. With a wide range of stitches, portability and convenience-oriented features that easily overshadow the few complications, it isn’t hard to see why this machine enjoys the popularity that it does.