Features of the Singer 14T968DC Serger
What You Will Learn
- 1 Features of the Singer 14T968DC Serger
- 2 Pros
- 3 Cons
The 5-thread Singer Professional Serger can be set up very easily and has several features such as:
This allows you to get the perfect stitch with cover hems, rolled hems, chain stitching, flatlocking, etc.
The color-coding threading system is extremely simple as the threading path of each thread is specified with a different color and the easy-to-read reference diagrams help to make the process easier.
Automatic Tension Adjusting System
This enables you to simply turn the dial and select the stitch and the machine adjusts the tension of the stitch automatically to ensure that you get even and balanced stitches.
This makes the Singer Professional 5 Serger stand out from the rest. When working on projects, there is no need to switch between the serger and sewing machine. And, you can select between wide, narrow or triple coverstitch.
The differential feed essentially controls the movement of the front and rear feed dogs, which helps to feed the fabric smoothly. This is essential to prevent bunching and puckering from the seams and to produce even and smooth stitches, especially when you’re working with silky, stretch or lightweight fabrics.
You can remove the storage compartment and access the free arm that makes it very easy to sew lettuce edges, sleeve cuffs, trouser hems, etc.
4 In-built Rolled Hems
You can convert the serger into the rolled hem mode by just sliding a lever without changing the stitch plate. You can get more hem options, particularly for lightweight fabrics.
You can select from a range of basic, decorative and buttonhole sewing options. And, the various stitch combinations allow you to select from various hem finishes, seam finishes and decorative edges.
Adjustable Stitch Length and Width
The serger allows you to customize the stitch appearance by increasing/decreasing the distance between them, which makes the function useful for techniques such as basting, applique, etc. You can also make the stitches narrower/wider as needed.
The interior frame of the machine is made of metal, which helps to provide long-lasting durability. And, the arm of the machine is made of stainless steel that gives a smooth surface, allowing the fabrics to move smoothly.
The Singer Professional 5 serger has a top speed of around 1,300 stitches/minute and the machine has a digital speed control that allows you to control the speed of the machine.
The sewing machine comes with a soft cover that helps to keep your machine dust-free when you’re not using it.
- The Singer Professional 5 serger is very easy to set up and it has many automatic functions and features that make it very user friendly.
- The serger has a long-lasting LED light that is very bright and helps to illuminate your workspace so that you can see your work clearly as you sew. Also, the LED light remains cool to touch.
- The Clean Pocket of the serger is very useful and helps to catch all the cut-off threads, fluff and pieces of fabric. This allows you to keep your sewing area neat and clean.
- The machine is fairly quiet when in operation and the heavy duty frame helps to reduce vibrations when the serger is in use.
- The Singer Professional 5 serger is pretty compact, not too heavy and can be easily lifted. The machine can be moved from one room to another without any help.
- The serger is very versatile and offers 12 in-built stitches. It can produce 2-3-4-5 thread overlock stitches, 3 types of cover stitches, 4 rolled hemstitches, double chain stitch, etc.
- The Singer Professional 5 serger is a high-end machine with many features and this is reflected in its price tag, which is fairly pricey.
- The Singer Professional 5 serger does not have a free arm, which can be limiting.
- Threading the serger can be difficult because it has manual threading, which can be time consuming and tricky; however, with practice, it is quite doable.
- Some parts of the machine are made of plastic, which can be flimsy and fragile.
The Singer Professional 5 Serger is an extremely versatile machine that can handle both professional, as well as home sewing jobs. While the cost of the Singer Professional 5 may be higher than other sergers on the market, the features, control and comfort offered by the Singer serger makes it better in comparison and worth the buy.