Best Waterproof Fabrics
Here are our waterproof fabric reviews.
This line of waterproof fabric from Ottertex is made from 100% polyester. It is a heavyweight fabric, which makes it extremely versatile. The fabric is backed with plastic PVC and has a waterproof coating in addition.
- Can be used for many different projects- anything from boat covers to patio cushions, backpacks to tote bags
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
- Easy to care for- simply wipe with a damp cloth for easy cleaning
This waterproof fabric line is a heavyweight fabric with a PVC backing and 100% acrylic facing from Sunbrella. The fabric is textured and is rated as marine grade. It is extremely durable and can be used for a wide variety of outdoor applications.
- Extremely tough and highly waterproof
- Great for humid, damp, or even sunny environments
- Fairly easy to clean- vacuum off dirt and debris, use mild soap, warm water, and a soft brush
This medium to heavy weight fabric Sunbrella Rain Upholstery fabric is made from 100% Sunbrella acrylic. The fabric is completely waterproof, which helps protect against rain and humidity as well as other elements. The fabric was designed specifically for outdoor use.
- Can be used for outdoor upholstery projects or for accents like patio cushions or outdoor toss cushions
- Not only is the fabric waterproof, it is resistant to mildew and sun fading
- The fabric dries rapidly and is perfect for upholstering outdoor seating projects, no matter how rainy or humid the climate is
This medium weight fabric is perfect for outdoor use. This fabric is a soft, solution dyed fabric that is fully recyclable, but it also made out of recycled materials, making it 100% green. The manufacturing process for the fabric uses far less water and energy making it a great product for those that are looking for environmentally friendly choices.
- The fabric repels water
- Resists fading for up to 1500 hours, and is also resistant to stains, and harsh chemicals
- Resistant to pilling, abrasion, and tears
5. AKAS Tex PUL
This line of fabric is a lightweight polyester/polyurethane blend laminated knit fabric. The fabric is completely waterproof and has many versatile uses. AKAS Tex PUL is CPSIA certified, which helps ensure that products are safe for children under the age of 12.
- Even though the fabric is lightweight, it is also durable
- Can be used in making diapers, mattress covers, change pad covers, or swimwear
- Can be machine washed and dried on low heat with no fabric softener for easy laundering
Waterproof Fabric Buying Guide
Waterproof fabrics are incredibly useful, especially if you live in a climate that is damp or sees heavy amounts of rain- even for part of the year. Waterproof fabrics can be used both indoor and outdoor and have a wide variety of applications. In addition, waterproof fabrics can also be used for apparel and accessories.
Indoors or Outdoors
There are many different waterproof fabrics on the market with a wide range of different properties and uses. Every fabric is unique, so it is best to make certain that you are purchasing the right fabric for your needs and projects. Many waterproof fabrics are designed with outdoor use in mind. They can be used for many different projects including awnings, patio furniture upholstery, outdoor cushions, tarps, and more. Indoor waterproof fabrics often meet different safety standards and can be used in making things like mattress covers, diapers, or accessories like tote bags or apparel.
Durability and Price
Waterproof fabrics sometimes carry a larger price tag than you might expect. This is especially true of waterproof fabrics intended for outdoor use. Don’t be immediately deterred by spending more for these fabrics, as many of them are designed to be extremely durable, and if properly cared for, can last for years. Many outdoor fabrics are resistant to sun fading for a very long time, and are also resistant to mildew. These fabrics really stand up to even harsh climates. Weigh the potential usage and how many years you might get out of the fabric against the cost.