Best Velour Fabrics
Here are our velour fabric reviews.
This line of knit velour fabric is very soft, and has about 40% stretch across the grain. The panne nap that the fabric is named for adds some of the fabric’s shine and also enhances the feel of the fabric. Due to the stretch in the fabric, many different apparel items can be sewn. Make costumes, dancewear, loungewear, tops, dresses, and more.
- Fabric is lightweight and is made from 96% polyester and 4% Lycra spandex
- Available in 60” widths and this line of fabric is available in over forty different colors
- Machine wash on gentle, or dry clean
2. Solid Velour
This knit velour has a velvety soft texture and features 20% mechanical stretch across the grain, which makes it a great choice for making many different apparel items. Sew beautiful dresses or skirts, loungewear items, dancewear, costumes, and more.
- Machine wash with cold water, tumble dry on low heat
- This line of fabric is available in over fifteen different colors
- This medium weight fabric is a blend of 80% cotton and 20% polyester
3. Craft Velour
This line of velour fabric is wonderfully soft and features 20% stretch across the grain. This fabric is slightly different in that it is great for craft projects, as the name implies. It can be great for making costumes, as well as lining things like jewellery boxes, and even for instrument cases.
- Machine wash and tumble dry on low heat
- Fabric is 100% polyester
- Fabric is lightweight and is available in 60” widths
This medium weight fabric is extremely plush and soft, and has some great benefits, like resistant to pilling. This unique fleece has a velour finish that gives the fabric a very smooth texture. This fabric also breathes well, is very warm, and really stands up to wear and tear.
- This fabric would be a good choice for making mitts, scarves, slippers, jackets, sweaters, throw blankets, and more
- Fabric is 100% polyester and is available in 62” widths
- Machine wash on cold, tumble dry on low heat- do not use an iron on the fabric
This unique, medium weight, knit fabric is a blend of 40% bamboo rayon, 40% cotton, and 20% polyester. The fabric features 10% four-way stretch. This beautiful, soft fabric would be a great choice for making tighter fitting tops, dresses, skirts, for dancewear and costumes, for accessories like scarves and shawls, and more.
- Machine wash on gentle, drip dry after
- Fabric is medium weight
- Available in 58” widths
Velour Fabric Buying Guide
Velour fabrics can be quite diverse in composition and appearance. Some velour fabrics might resemble velvet, fleece, or other fabrics. Velour can be used for many, many different projects. Velour is most often used for a ton of different apparel items and costumes, but it can also be used for accessories like scarves or shawls, for crafting projects, and more.
Durability of Velour Fabric
Velour fabric is generally quite durable. The fabric does hold up quite well to wear and tear. A huge bonus of velour fabrics is that they can often be laundered quite easily at home. Some velour fabrics should be drip dried only, while others should not be ironed. The care instructions for the fabric do differ from line to line, so be sure to familiarize yourself so that you can properly care for your fabric.
Price of Velour
Velour fabric is usually quite inexpensive. Most lines can be purchased for well under ten dollars per yard. If more fabric is purchased, some lines even offer pricing around five dollars per yard. Some speciality velour fabrics might cost around fifteen to twenty dollars per yard. Velour is quite versatile and varies in the type of fibers that can make up the fabric. This often will alter the cost of the fabric.