Best Ripstop Fabrics
Here are our ripstop fabric reviews.
This organic cotton ripstop comes in an army uniform print, so it is aptly named. This fabric is medium weight and is extremely versatile. The fabric can be used for apparel items, bags, for upholstery, and more. This fabric is made from 100% organic cotton, but is not GOTS certified.
- Available in 60” widths
- This fabric is part of a ripstop line that includes ripstop fabrics in over sixty different prints and colors
- Machine wash on cold, tumble dry on low heat
This fabric features a cross woven technique which helps ensure that this fabric is extremely strong and very durable. This fabric is actually perfect for many different apparel items. Active wear, jackets, swimwear, shirts, and more can all be made using this fabric. While the fabric is appropriate for apparel, it can also be a great choice for utility items like bags or for lining items.
- This fabric is very lightweight
- Made from 100% nylon and is available in 62” widths
- Machine wash with cold water, tumble dry on low heat
To those that imagined that ripstop comes in only bland or dreary colors, think again! This incredible fabric comes in a whole host of different colors and prints. This fabric can be used for apparel items like shorts, pants, or jackets, and is versatile enough that it can also be used for bags and more.
- Fabric is medium weight and is made from 100% cotton
- Comes in 60” widths
- Machine wash, tumble dry
This unique fabric can be used both indoors and outdoors. This synthetic fabric’s special weave ensures that is extremely strong and very durable. The fabric is also waterproof, due to the DWR coating. The fabric is also adaptable, dries quite quickly, and is medium to heavyweight. This line comes in over thirty different colors.
- This fabric is made from 100% polyurethane coated polyester
- Available in 60” widths
- Fabric can be cleaned by wiping with a damp cloth
This nylon rip stop fabric is extremely durable due to the fabric’s unique cross hatch weave pattern. This fabric would be ideal for making outdoor clothing like jackets and active wear, but can also be used for making things like bags and utility items. This line of nylon ripstop comes in almost ten different colors and prints
- Machine wash cold, tumble dry on low heat
- Fabric is made from 100% nylon
- Very lightweight
Ripstop Fabric Buying Guide
Ripstop is often a great choice of fabric, especially for the outdoors, because it has many amazing properties. The fabric can be treated to be waterproof, and can sometimes also be fireproof. Untreated ripstop if often quite breathable. Ripstop is very strong and durable, and is also extremely versatile. Ripstop also holds up very well to cleaning and laundering.
Surprisingly, ripstop is also food safe. If you’re been looking for that perfect lining fabric to make reusable sandwich or snack bags, to make sandwich wrap, or to line a lunch bag, ripstop can be your go to. Ripstop is easy to wash and care for, which is a huge bonus for making items that are going to see a ton of laundering.
Cost of Ripstop
Ripstop is an extremely durable fabric that comes in many different weights and can be made with different fibers. This fabric, despite its unique form, versatility, and ability to hold up, is actually quite inexpensive to purchase. Some lines of ripstop fabric can be purchased for under five dollars per yard and many others can be purchased for under ten dollars. This fabric is great for tons of different projects, so you can get sewing and save money.
- Chapter 1: The 7 Sewing Essentials for Beginners
- Chapter 2: The Beginner’s Guide to Sewing Machines
- Chapter 3: The Ultimate Guide to Setting up your Sewing Room
- Chapter 4: Everything You Need To Know About Sewing
- Chapter 5: Sewing Fabric 101: A Virtual Tour of the Fabric Store