Best Plisse Fabrics
Here are our plisse fabric reviews.
This line of plisse fabrics is available in over fifteen different prints that feature tropical inspired themes. This fabric is lightweight and is great for making breathable button downs, certain types of dresses, skirts, and blouses. This fabric, when used for dresses and skirts, will probably require a liner or lining.
- This fabric is lightweight and is made from 100% cotton
- Machine wash cold, tumble dry on low heat- do not use bleach
- Comes in 42” widths
This knit plisse fabric is navy with smaller, white dots throughout. The fabric actually features 10% four-way stretch as well, which is great for making all sorts of apparel items, including form fitting garments. Different kinds of tops, dresses, skirts, and more can all be sewn using this fabric.
- This fabric is lightweight and is 100% polyester
- Available in 58” widths
- Machine wash cold, air dry after
This beautiful line of plisse fabrics is made from 100% cotton. The fabric was actually made by a technique called salt shrinking, which produced the unique, signature plisse texture. Plisse fabric is a great choice for making apparel items like dresses, skirts, shirts, blouses, and more.
- Machine wash on gentle cycle, dry in the dryer on low heat
- Fabric is very lightweight
- Available in 42” widths
This unique line of fabrics features different colors with stripes. The fabric is actually medium weight, not lightweight like many plisse fabrics are, and is a knit. This fabric also has 10% stretch for ease of movement and is great for making tops, shirts, skirts, dresses, accessories like scarves, and more.
- Fabric is made from 100% polyester
- Available in 58” widths
- Machine wash on gentle cycle, lay flat to dry
This knit fabric from Telio might not look like most other plisse fabrics, but it definitely is a plisse. This extremely unique fabric is aptly named, as the fabric has a beautiful metallic look. Since the fabric also features 10% stretch, it is great for making form fitting garments, for sewing costumes, for dancewear, skirts, dresses, accessories like scarves, and more.
- Fabric is lightweight and is made from 100% polyester
- Available to purchase in 56” widths
- Fabric can be purchased for just under ten dollars per yard
Plisse Fabric Buying Guide
Plisse fabric comes in different weights. Though plisse is usually very lightweight or lightweight, it can also be medium weight. Most lines of plisse are made using either 100% cotton or 100% polyester. Many lines of plisse fabric have some stretch to the fabric, which makes the fabric that much more comfortable to wear and move around in. Some fabrics have so much stretch that they can be used to make even form fitting apparel items.
Plisse on a Budget
Plisse fabric can be purchased on a budget. Some fabrics can be bought for under ten dollars per yard, while others might coast around twenty dollars per yard. Plisse is a versatile fabric that is oftentimes fairly easy to care for, comes in many different colors and prints, and can be used for a ton of different apparel items. The fabric’s versatility, unique appearance, and other characteristics can make it an attractive, unique choice.
Sewing with Plisse
Plisse is a gorgeous fabric that is quite unique. While it might look a little bit intimidating to sew with, it can actually be quite easy, no matter if the fabric is made from polyester or from cotton. Plisse fabric should usually be cut along the weft. If you’re uncertain about sewing with plisse or if it’s a new fabric for you, try looking up a few tutorials or videos. While helpful, they can also take the uncertainty out of working with a fabric that you might not have sewn with before.
- Chapter 1: The 7 Sewing Essentials for Beginners
- Chapter 2: The Beginner’s Guide to Sewing Machines
- Chapter 3: The Ultimate Guide to Setting up your Sewing Room
- Chapter 4: Everything You Need To Know About Sewing
- Chapter 5: Sewing Fabric 101: A Virtual Tour of the Fabric Store