Do you need a handheld sewing machine?
You’ll know you need a handheld sewing machine if
- All you need from time to time is some very basic work on your favorite pieces of clothing that you don’t want to throw away because a tiny seam has decided to fall apart.
- You travel frequently and require a small sewing tool that can be stored in a compartment of your backpack and taken with you wherever you go.
- When you bend over to search the floor for a lost needle, you ended up with a tear on your rear end. The very needle that was supposed to assist you in mending your slacks. It’s aggravating enough to look for a needle in a haystack that is your carpet. There has to be an easier and safer way to mend.
- You don’t have the time or patience to learn to use a traditional sewing machine. Regardless of how simple some models are, it takes a long time to become comfortable with them. If you don’t want to deal with all of the bells and whistles, a small handheld device could be the perfect solution.
Cons of Purchasing a Handheld Sewing Machine
To say that a handheld sewing machine can replace a standard one is akin to saying that a slice of takeout pizza can substitute for a proper, full-sized meal accompanied by a nice glass of wine at a fancy Italian restaurant. Unless, of course, that slice is just what you’re looking for. Take a look at a few of the most common situations where a handheld machine will fall short.
- It isn’t designed to sew through a variety of fabrics or layers of fabric. Even some standard sewing machines can’t do it, so expecting it from a device that fits in your pocket is unrealistic.
- Expect uneven, elegant, and unappealing stitches.
- This machine relies solely on your hand, and we all know how difficult it is to keep a hand that steady.
- Even though one of their main selling points is their ease of use, some models do have a learning curve. If you’ve made up your mind and want to purchase a small sewing machine, avoid getting one of these.
So, to answer the question of whether or not a handheld sewing machine is worthwhile, the answer is that it depends on your needs and expectations. If you don’t need a complicated machine with a lot of options, a handheld machine will suffice. They are inexpensive and will most likely do your bidding. A standard sewing machine, on the other hand, would be a far better choice if you really want to learn how to sew.
Best Handheld Sewing Machines
1. W-Dragon Handheld Sewing MachineCheck Today's Price on Amazon
The W-Dragon handheld sewing machine is a great option for both beginning and expert sewers who want a portable machine to execute repairs or simple sewing tasks. It can even be used to create simple embroidery designs. This sewing machine can be used with any material up to 1.8mm thick, making it suitable for even leather or denim.
- Portable and compact design
- Up to 1.8mm sewing thickness
- Can be used with four AA batteries or power adapter (sold separately)
2. Meteralla Handheld Sewing MachineCheck Today's Price on Amazon
The Meteralla handheld sewing machine is a great option for anyone looking to make quick repairs or complete other simple sewing projects on the go. It can be used on any fabric up to 1.8mm thick, including denim and leather. It can also be used to create simple embroidery designs.
- Battery or power adapter operated
- Can sew fabrics up to 1.8mm thick
- Compact and light-weight
3. Dutison Hand-held Sewing MachineCheck Today's Price on Amazon
The Dutison hand-held sewing machine is a great option for DIY projects where you need a portable, hand-held machine to stitch along edges. This machine can be used with any type of fabric, from lightweight silks to heavy-weight denims. The simple straight stitch function is perfect for repairs or hemming.
- Compact, light-weight and portable
- Automatic moving
- Includes instruction manual and accessory set
4. LIKYUU Mini Sewing MachineCheck Today's Price on Amazon
The LIKYUU mini sewing machine is a great option for sewers looking to repair items and complete simple sewing projects on the go. It is simple enough for a beginner to use and easy to set up and operate. It can also be used on all types of materials, both heavy and lightweight.
- Faster and easier than making repairs by hand
- Portable design
- Low noise
5. Jeteven Hand-held Sewing MachineCheck Today's Price on Amazon
The Jeteven hand-held sewing machine is a great, affordable tool for any sewer to add to their collection. It is battery operated, small, and very portable. It can be used for repairs, alterations, and other simple sewing projects.
- Small and portable
- Convenient to carry
- Includes a variety of accessories
6. Sonvera Hand-held Sewing MachineCheck Today's Price on Amazon
The Sonvera hand-held sewing machine is a great tool for doing repairs and alterations. It can be used on a variety of fabrics, from silk to denim and leather and is battery powered for portability. It is a great option for DIY projects at home and on the go, such as hemming and repairs.
- Suitable for a wide variety of materials
- Simple to use design
7. Charminer Hand-held Sewing MachineCheck Today's Price on Amazon
The Charminer hand-held sewing machine is a breeze to set up and use. It can be used on a wide range of materials, from light-weight silk to heavy-weight leather and denim. An instructional manual is included and youtube videos are available to help you learn how to get the most out of this great sewing tool.
- Light-weight and portable
- User-friendly design
- Powered by batteries or AV power adapter
8. Hemelian Portable Sewing Machine
The Hemelian portable sewing machine is a great tool for any sewer and very affordable at under $10! It can be used on a variety of materials, from lightweight silks to heavier fabrics such as denim and leather. It is simple to set up and operate.
- Battery operated or power adapter
- Great for travel
- Includes bobbins with several different colors of thread
9. Pulilang Hand-held Sewing MachineCheck Today's Price on Amazon
This hand-held sewing machine is easy to use and comes at a great price, making it a great tool for all your on-the-go projects. It can either be used with AA batteries or with its power cord adapter. It can also be used on a wide range of materials, even heavy-weight materials such as leather and denim.
- Compact, light-weight design
- Easy to use
- Can be used with any material
10. Snnetwork Portable Hand-held Sewing MachineCheck Today's Price on Amazon
The Snnetwork portable hand-held sewing machine is a great option for anyone looking to do quick repairs and alterations on the go. It can be used on materials ranging from light to heavy in weight – from silks to denim.
- Small enough to fit in the palm of your hand
- Easy to operate
- Uses batteries or adapter for power (neither are included)
Handheld Sewing Machine Buyer’s Guide
Hand-held sewing machines are a useful tool for any sewer, beginning or advanced, to add to their collection. And given that most cost less than $20, they are very affordable as well. There are a variety of features to consider when purchasing a hand-held sewing machine. Given their affordability, this buying guide will make it easy to find a machine that suits your sewing needs. Hand-held sewing machines are best suited for garment repairs and alterations such as hemming or patching, and other simple projects which require portability and can be accomplished with a straight seam. They can even be used for simple decoration and for a hand-quilted look on quilts.
All models included in this buying guide are portable and feature a compact design. They can be easily transported, as they are small enough to fit in a handbag, and can comfortably be held in the palm of your hand. All are also battery-operated, but some have the option of being used with a power adapter, which may or may not be included. This option would save the cost of batteries. All of these machines are also easy to operate and suitable for beginners or children (with supervision).
Some models featured in this buying guide include accessory packs. These can include bobbins with different colors of thread, thread cutters, seam rippers, spare needles and other options.
It is also important to consider what projects you would like to use the hand-held sewing machine for so that you can choose the best machine to meet your needs. Many of the models in this buying guide can be used on materials of a variety of thicknesses, from lightweight like silk to heavyweights like denim or leather. Some can work with materials up to 1.8mm thick.
All of the features discussed in this buying guide make the hand-held sewing machine a great tool to add to your sewing kit.
Leave a Reply