|Cotton + Steel Checkers
|Lightweight woven gingham fabric
|Tablecloth, curtains, apparel items
|Oil Cloth International
|100% vinyl heavyweight and durable fabric
|Tablecloth, outdoor use
|Kaufman Essex Linen Blend
|55% linen, 45% cotton blend
|Tablecloth, other linens, apparel projects
|Riley Blake Gingham Farm
|100% cotton, timeless patterns and trendy florals
|Tablecloth, home décor, quilting, apparel
|Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton
|Lightweight 100% cotton broadcloth
|Tablecloth, home accents, quilting, apparel
Table of Contents
Best Fabric for Tablecloths
Here are our fabric for tablecloths reviews
This lightweight woven gingham fabric comes in a variety of checkered patterns and colors, perfect for that iconic tablecloth look. The fabric is extremely versatile and can be used to make matching accents like curtains. The fabric is perfect for apparel items like dresses, skirts, shirts, or blouses as well.
- Launder normally- machine wash and dry in the dryer on low heat
- Fabric is 100% cotton
- Fairly budget friendly
Want all the benefits of the classic red checked gingham tablecloth with none of the mess? If you’ve never made a tablecloth from oil cloth before, it’s a must try, especially when it comes to saving time on cleaning up- just wipe clean with a damp cloth. The fabric is made of 100% vinyl and is heavyweight and durable.
- Oil cloth is a cotton base covered with vinyl
- Can be made just by cutting into the shape needed- no hemming required (bias tape can be used to finish if desired)
- Great for outdoor use (try covering a picnic table)
Linen is an extremely classy fabric. This linen/cotton blend (55% linen, 45% cotton) is lightweight. Linen and cotton are both durable fabrics and tend to hold up well over time and with many washings, which is good news for any tablecloth. Linen does sometimes tend to wrinkle, but the cotton in this blend should help prevent too much creasing.
- Fabric has a full bodied drape and a luxurious hand
- Also perfect for other linens as well as for apparel projects
- Machine wash on gentle and dry in the dryer on low heat
This fabric is made of 100% cotton. Cotton is a popular choice for tablecloths, as it is durable, can be washed easily at home, and comes in so many different prints and patterns. Cotton is also fairly budget friendly, which is great news when it comes to making larger items like tablecloths. This line features timeless patterns and trendy florals in shades of green.
- Can be machine washed on cold and dried in the dryer on low heat
- Perfect for home décor and other accents, as well as for quilting and even apparel
- This line of fabric has many unique prints and patterns in the same hues and shades for matching accents or trim pieces
This lightweight, 100% cotton broadcloth is perfect for tablecloths, other accents around the home, quilting, apparel and more, making it an extremely versatile fabric. Cotton is usually very durable and can withstand multiple washings.
- This line comes in many different colors and is extremely budget friendly
- Can be machine washed on cold and tumble dried on low heat
- Fabric has the Confidence in Textiles Certification
Fabric for Tablecloths Buying Guide
Many fabrics for tablecloths are actually quite budget friendly. Not only is the initial cost quite low for most cottons, ginghams, oil cloth, broadcloth, and for some linen blends- these fabrics are generally very durable and can be used for years. Oil cloth is easy to clean up. Try and pick other fabrics that can be laundered easily at home, as tablecloths tend to see a lot of use in a fairly high traffic area.
Cottons, broadcloth, gingham, and linen are all very versatile fabrics. They are extremely durable and tend to be easier on the budget (especially if you end up buying a linen/cotton blend). Cotton and broadcloth and well as some ginghams and even linens come in an array of different patterns and colors. All of these fabrics can be used for other projects as well, making it easy to pair décor accents around the house or to use up extra fabric.
Making your own tablecloths ensures a high degree of customization. Not only can you choose the type of fabric you buy, you can pick what patterns, prints, and designs you would like to use, but you can fit your tablecloth to your own table. Pick something bold that really stands out, go with something more traditional like a checked gingham fabric, buy a trendy new print or a classic floral, or match your tablecloth to colors you already have in your home. The choices are endless.