Best Fabrics for Punch Needle
Here are our fabrics for punch needle reviews.
This fabric is very heavyweight, which should make it a good choice for punch needle. The woven fabric is a blend of polyester, cotton, and acrylic. This fabric is durable and can be used for a variety of different projects. Use for window treatments, upholstery projects, accent pillows, duvet covers, or use for tote bags or even for apparel like aprons.
- Comes in a variety of colors, and has two solid white/beige colors
- Can be laundered at home- machine wash cold, and air dry
- 40% polyester, 30% acrylic, 30% cotton
This medium to heavyweight fabric is 100% linen. Linen is a durable fabric, but it is also soft and luxurious looking. Linen can be used for a ton of different projects, including apparel items and so much more.
- Perfect for apparel, but also for projects around the home like pillows, cloth napkins, or window treatments
- This line comes in a variety of neutral and pastel colors
- Machine wash on gentle or the fabric can also be dry cleaned
This velvet fabric is a medium to heavyweight blend that is 92% polyester and 8% polyamide. The fabric is on the higher end of the price range, yet it also has a luxurious look and feel. The fabric is durable and has a wide range of uses. It is likely best to use a fabric interface afterwards.
- Fabric is perfect for home décor and can be used for toss cushions, slipcovers, upholstery
- This velvet is very versatile and can also be used for projects like tote bags and hand bags
- This line comes in a wide variety of colors, and it dry clean only
Punch needle can often be successfully done on denim fabrics, especially if smaller punch needles are used. Jackets, pants, skirts, and other apparel items can be customized and brought to life with punch needle. This fabric resembles the look of denim and has a smooth feel.
- Medium weight blend of 62% rayon, 34% polyester, and 4% Lycra spandex
- 15% stretch across the grain
- Can be laundered at home- machine wash gentle, lay flat to dry
Trend Style 04462 is a medium to heavyweight line of fabric that is perfect for a large variety of projects. The fabric is a 66% polyester/34% cotton blend. The line comes in different lighter shades of ivories, greys, and pastel colors.
- The fabric is perfect for duvet covers, window treatments, some upholstery projects, pillows, and even some apparel projects
- Can’t be laundered at home, as it is suggested dry clean only
- Polyester/cotton blends are usually extremely durable
Fabrics for Punch Needle Buying Guide
Punch needle works by punching the loops down into the fabric. If you are going to use fabrics like the ones listed above, it might be best to use smaller punch needles. It is also recommended, especially on clothing on around the house items like window treatments, cushions, or even duvets, or cloth napkins, that a fusable interface be used to ensure that everything is held together and holds up to future wear.
If you want to attempt to do punch needle on clothing or even on fabrics that you’ve sewn or intend to sew for household use, punch needle is a great way to add extra customization and decoration. Punch needle looks especially unique on things like denim jackets, jeans, or even on dresses. You can truly express your own artistic style and creativity by adding a pattern to your clothes or to cushions and even window treatments.
Fabrics that can potentially be used for punch needle are sometimes on the more expensive side, but these fabrics are generally medium to heavyweight or very heavyweight blends that will be able to withstand the punch needle. Buying a good quality fabric helps you have greater chances of a successful project. Heavyweight fabrics do tend to be extremely durable, and if taken care of properly, can last for a long time.