Best Fabrics for Doll Making
Here are our fabric for doll making reviews:
1. Cotton Muslin Natural Beige
This fabric is natural and rough-woven. Muslin is very popular for doll making, especially for the body of the doll. Though it usually comes in neutral colors like beiges and whites, muslin can also be dyed to be any color. Muslin is very versatile, and can be used for many other projects.
- Muslin is often considered a utility fabric and is generally very durable
- This muslin is made from 100% cotton and is lightweight
- Machine wash and tumble dry
2. Fleece Solids
Fleece fabrics can be a great choice for doll making. Use fleece for the entire doll, for the doll’s clothes, or for the hair. Fleece is very soft and is often associated with warm and cuddly feelings. Fleece is generally durable and will often stand up to a lot of wear, which is great news for dolls that go for adventures outside the home. Be aware that fleece can sometimes stretch, so plan your pattern and stuffing accordingly.
- Machine wash on gentle and tumble dry on low heat
- This fleece is medium weight, 100% polyester, and is anti-pill
- This line of fleece comes in over twenty-five different colors
3. Classic Felt 36 x 36 Craft Felt
Felt is indeed a classic fabric that can be used for so many different projects. Depending on the kind of doll, felt can be a great choice. Felt can also be used for part of a project, like clothing or hair, or use it to make the body of the doll. This line of felt is resistant to fading, doesn’t fray when cut, and can be sewn or glued together.
- This fabric is made from 100% polyester and is very lightweight
- Can be machine washed on gentle and hang to dry
- Felt is very versatile and can also be used for crafting, scrapbooking, around the house projects, and so much more
4. Kona Cotton Fabric
Quilting cotton, or 100% cotton, is also a very popular option for doll making. Cotton is a versatile fabric that can be used for many projects and different aspects of doll making. Use it for the body, for the face, or for the arms and legs, or use it for making doll clothes.
- This cotton broadcloth is made from 100% cotton and is lightweight
- Machine wash cold, tumble dry on low heat
- This line of fabric comes in over four hundred different colors
5. Big Duck Windmill Linen
Linen can be a great choice for doll making. Linen, especially neutral or solid colors, can often be used for making a doll body, or for the face only, or for the arms and legs as well. Linens and cottons are great fabrics because they are durable and generally easy to sew with. Linen and cotton are also very versatile and are great for many other projects as well.
- Machine wash on cold and air dry
- This fabric has been prewashed
- Fabric is a blend of 86% cotton and 14% linen and is medium weight
Fabric for Doll Making Buying Guide
Dolls are a great project. Because there are so many styles, types, and kinds of dolls, they can be made from many different materials. Cottons, linens, muslin, and linen/cotton blends are always popular for making doll bodies, though all of those fabrics can also be used to make doll clothing as well. Linens and cottons as well as muslin fabrics are generally quite inexpensive and are often widely available to be purchased. While many come in different colors, they can also be dyed for customized colors as well. Other popular fabrics for doll making are flannels, fleece, felt, polyester, and wool, though others can certainly be used as well.
Doll making allows you to be as creative as you want to be. You can use an existing pattern, or go out on a limb and make something that is entirely yours. Dolls can be highly customizable, blending different elements to make them unique. Dolls can be pretty or even ugly. There are many people who are quite successful making and selling ugly, scary, or strange looking dolls. Many people find them fascinating because they are so different. Dolls come in any shape and size and can be any color you want. You can further customize your project by adding different features like hair and designing your own clothing for your doll.
Making dolls can be fun, and oftentimes they are a great addition to craft markets and trade show booths. People of all ages enjoy playing and collecting with dolls. Dolls make a great gift to give. Dolls don’t have to be pretty. As already mentioned, dolls can be scary, ugly, and even rough around the edges. Sometimes these dolls are even more popular than regular dolls.