Best Boucle Fabrics
Here are our boucle fabric reviews.
This woven boucle fabric is a wool blend that features about 10% four-way stretch. The fabric has the signature boucle texture. Since the fabric is medium weight, it is a great choice for making jackets, coats, skirts, and even blankets as well.
- Fabric is medium weight and is a blend of 46% polyester, 40% acrylic, and 14% wool.
- Available in 62” width
- Fabric is dry clean only
This boucle fabric would be a great choice for making apparel items like sweaters, jackets, cardigans, or accessories like scarves. The fabric is medium to heavyweight, is thick, and has a fuzzy, signature boucle texture. The fabric also features 20% mechanical stretch across the grain as an added bonus for making apparel items.
- This line of fabric is available in ten different prints and comes in 56” widths
- Dry clean is recommended to launder this fabric
- This medium to heavyweight fabric is a blend of 80% wool, 8% mohair, and 12% poly
This knit wool fabric is heavyweight, which means that it’s thick, soft, and comfy. The fabric has some mechanical stretch across the grain, which makes it perfect for making apparel items. Use the fabric to make sweaters, cardigans, jackets, or even accessories like scarves.
- Fabric is dry clean only
- This heavyweight fabric is made form 100% wool
- Comes in 58” widths
This unique line of boucle fabrics doesn’t at first look like boucle, but it does have the soft, textured boucle feel. This fabric drapes beautifully, which makes it a good choice for many different apparel items. Since the fabric is medium weight, it can be used for coats, jackets, and even for skirts as well.
- Fabric is a medium weight blend of 65% wool, 25% viscose, and 10% poly
- Comes in 56” widths
- Dry cleaning is recommended to clean the fabric
This unique boucle fabric is woven and actually features a more subtle textured herringbone pattern. Since the fabric is medium to heavyweight, it can be actually be used for projects around the house. The fabric could be used for window treatments, upholstery projects, and more.
- Fabric features 10,000 double rubs
- Dry clean only
- This medium to heavyweight fabric is made from 100% polyester
Boucle Fabric Buying Guide
Boucle fabrics come in many different colors and prints. Some feature quite a bit of texture, while others are smoother and flatter, but do still have a noticeable texture as well. Boucle fabric is often made with wool or a blend of wool, but can also be made from just synthetic fibers like polyester. Boucle fabrics are often medium to heavyweight and can be used for many different projects, both at home and for apparel.
Cost of Boucle Fabric
Some lines of boucle fabric can be purchased for under fifteen dollars a yard, while others are more costly. Boucle fabric can be quite heavyweight and upholstery grade fabrics are often more expensive than regular fabrics. Boucle can also be used for suiting, for jackets, skirts, and for thicker sweaters. When you weight the cost of purchasing the items from the store, the fabric, even at around twenty to thirty dollars a yard, could still be quite a budget friendly way to have some unique, tailored just for you, apparel items.
Boucle fabrics can be used to make both apparel items and items for around the house, depending on the weight of the fabric, the weave of the fabric, and what kind of fibers the fabric is made from. It might seem strange that some boucle fabric can be used to make window treatments or upholster a headboard or ottoman, and others can be used to make more formal jackets, coats, skirts, or comfy sweaters, but boucle is a versatile fabric and it can indeed by used to make many different items.
- Chapter 1: The 7 Sewing Essentials for Beginners
- Chapter 2: The Beginner’s Guide to Sewing Machines
- Chapter 3: The Ultimate Guide to Setting up your Sewing Room
- Chapter 4: Everything You Need To Know About Sewing
- Chapter 5: Sewing Fabric 101: A Virtual Tour of the Fabric Store