Trying to find the best quilting supplies for beginners? Are you beginning your quilting adventure now? What are the essential tools you will need?
The market is filled with a myriad of tools marketed for quilting, but it can be pretty tricky to find the most valuable supplies among all the commotion. It can be even trickier if you are a beginner.
I understand it can be overwhelming with everything that you need to take care of before quilting. That is why I have put together this list of quilting supplies that are essential for beginners. So, keep reading to find the supplies that will help you get started on the right note.
5 Best Quilting Supplies for Beginners
Here are our top 5 best quilting supplies for beginners. To begin your incredible quilting journey, start here.
It is my first pick for the best quilting supplies for beginners for various reasons. It comes with a 45 mm rotary cutter, A3 self-healing cutting mat, and many essential quilting supplies. This affordable set of supplies can be handy to you since it covers so many of the necessary supplies, including pins and clips.
This product is top-rated among beginners since the size of the mat is not too big yet thick enough. High-quality materials have gone into the making of the blade and the ruler.
- The rotary cutters come with spare blades
- 6.5 inches x 12 inches quilting ruler
- The self-healing cutting mat is 12 inches x 18 inches
- 40 quilting headpins
- 40 clips included as well
- Upgraded cutter with a safety lock button
- Installation space for blades on both sides of the cutter
- SKS-7 steel material for blades
- The healing mat has five layers
- A smooth-surfaced healing mat heals faster
- 2.8 mm premium acrylic plastic quilting ruler
- Unique and helpful numbering and angle system
- Includes: 45mm rotary cutter with spare rotary blades (2 SKS-7 Blades Totally), 6.5 X 12" acrylic quiting ruler in inch, 12 X 18" self healing cutting mat in cm, 40 quiting head pins and clips
- Upgraded cutter is designed with a safety button to lock the blade. Also the blades can be installed on both side of the rotary cutter, perfect for both right- and left-handed users.
- The 45mm blades are made of SKS-7 steel, sharp and hardly dull. With an replacement blades, you can cut multiple layers of fabric, paper or other materials precisely.
- Durable 5-layer self healing mat heals faster and the surface stays smooth for longer. It uses EN 71-3 compliant compound for the surface, which is the most stringent chemical standard for regulating the quality of mat's surface.
- Acrylic quiting ruler is made from durable 2.8 mm premium acrylic plastic. with a unique numbering and angle system that is sure to help with your projects for right or left handed.
This complete set of quilting tools is one of the most preferred choices for beginners. This set includes a rotary cutter kit, extra blades, cutting mat, carving knife, and sewing clips. Plus, this toolset consists of a beautiful black storage bag.
If you have been looking for something with abundant sewing clips and pins, this product can be a perfect choice. Also, you can pick any of the two sets from this product. One toolset comes with 85 pieces, whereas the other comes with 96 pieces.
- The rotary cutter is 45 mm
- The rotary cutter comes with five extra blades
- A patchwork ruler is available
- Thick multipurpose cutting mat
- The cutting mat provides excellent protection for the tabletop
- High-grade carving knife and numerous sewing clips
- Scissors can cut up to ten layers of paper and four layers of fabric
- The rotary cutter has an ergonomic handle for ease of cutting
- Headpins are plenty and colorful
- Perfect for decorative sewing works and handcrafts
- Extra sharp and highly precise blade
- The durable cutting mat does not easily fray
- Available in two sets of tools
- Durable and reliable product
- Covers a wide range of necessary tools
- Sharp scissors offer delicate and detailed cutting
- Easy trimming and stripping
- Price is inexpensive
- Cutting mat may be too hard
- COMPLETE SET OF TOOLS: This rotary cutter kit includes a 45mm rotary cutter with 5 extra blades, a cutting mat, a patchwork ruler, a carving knife, a storage bag, sewing clips, you will find everything needs for fabric cutting.
- CUTTING MAT: Rotary cutting mat is a multi-purpose mat that can protect your tabletop from sharp blades, writing instruments, and other art and craft tools.
- HANDLE ROTARY CUTTER: Rotary fabric cutter has an ergonomic handle for comfortable cutting, perfect for cutting fabric, quilts, thread, paper.
- COLORFUL HEAD PINS: Perfect for marking or decorating your sewing corsages, handcraft, clothing making, or crafting projects, and make your work more fun.
- WIDE USE: 45mm rotary cutter set made of high material, durable not easy to fray. And the blade is very sharp, great for precise projects, for models, artwork, delicate, precision cutting, detailing, trimming and stripping.
Next up, we have Medoga Kit for Sewing and Quilting for the best quilting supplies for beginners. It is a 104-piece set of all the essential tools for beginners. Also, this product covers a wide range of supplies, from rotary cutters to tiny quilting pins.
If you are looking for a beginner supplier but with a little upgrade, this can be the best choice for you. Additionally, most of the materials in the set are long-lasting and reliable.
- 45 mm rotary cutter with five extra cutter blades
- Extra blades are replaceable
- The handle design is ergonomic with a curved hold and compact size
- Materials are durable and lightweight
- The rotary cutter has a safety button to lock the blade
- High-quality metal rugged blade
- Industrial steel high carbon steel sewing scissors
- Razor-sharp precision cutting edge
- Oiled surface for fast and clean cutting
- Four types of blades, including Wave, straight, dotted, and breakpoint blade
- 50 pieces colorful sewing clips and a double-sided A4 cutting mat
- Sharp scissors can cut up to 6 layers of fabric
- Includes a beautiful storage bag
- Acrylic ruler with clean edge
- Carbon steel craft knives set
- Includes 30 pieces m
- Not an inexpensive choice
- Professional Rotary Cutter Set: 45mm rotary cutter(8 extra cutter blades), a quilting ruler, 30*sewing clips,50*sewing straight pins,a cutting mat, 9 inch professional fabric scissors,a carving knife(5 extra blades) ,storage bag, and other sewing leather accessories.professional leather cutting tools set for beginner.
- 9 inch Professional Sewing Scissors and Fabric Scissors, industrial quality High Carbon Steel which is stronger, harder, and stays sharp longer than the standard stainless steel scissors. The scissors are weighted and balanced well to feel great in your hand, give you nice silky smooth cutting experience for years!
- Self Healing Cutting Mat: A4(9" x 12"), available on both sides, thick soft and moderate, extend blade life, matte texture, desktop protection with anti-skid design. Cutting Mat Great for Scrapbooking, Fabric, Quilting, Sewing Crafts Projects
- Professional Rotary Cutter: This rotary cutter set come with a rotary cutter, cutting mat, carving craft knife, suitable for cutting paper, denim, vinyl, and other materials.
- Widely Use: Cutting mat great for scrapbooking, fabric, quilting, sewing crafts projects. Exceptional ultra sharp scissors for multiple uses around the home, craft room, office, work, school, classroom etc, Great for most regular household crafts. Perfect gift for tailors, dressmakers, artists, art teachers and students.
BORUIT Full Tools for Sewing and Quilting is a very popular choice among beginners and professional quilters. It is so because they provide an excellent variety of options in their pieces. It includes a rotary cutter, patchwork ruler, numerous types of blades, and sewing clips.
This product includes all the necessary tools for sewing, quilting, and various types of craft making. The exquisite tools in this set make it all the more exciting to start with your quilting experience.
- Sharp and durable 45 mm rotary cutter blades
- SKS-7 steel for extra sharp and precision cutting
- Five extra replacement blades
- Three blades for straight line, one for dotted line, one line cutting, and another for curve cutting
- Thickened double-sided cutting mats
- Mat is five layered PVC self-healing material
- Rotary cutting facilitates safety lock
- Precision knives for detailed handling
- Comfortable handle with ergonomic design
- The cutter can cut up to 6 layers of clothing at the same time
- It includes 30 colorful and beautiful sewing clips
- The A4 cutting mat is high-quality and durable
- Includes an exquisite storage bag
- Varied and practical high-quality supplies
- Includes leather cutting tools
- Perfect for beginner sewing and making craft goodies
- Thirty days money-back guarantee
- One year free warranty
- Not an inexpensive option
ZXIIXZ Ideal Craft Supplies Set for Sewing and Quilting is my last pick for the list of best quilting supplies for beginners. It is an amazing collection of tools for quilting for various types of quilting. It includes a patchwork ruler, cutting mats, sewing clips, as well as extra craft supplies.
That is perfect for beginners looking for more of their tool kit. So, if you want a lot more in their new quilting kit, this can be the ideal product for you. This supply kit can bring great value for a beginner quilter.
- It includes one 45 mm and another 28 mm rotary cutter
- Cutters offer sharp and precise cutting
- Includes 12 extra blades
- Two cutting mats of sizes A5 and A3
- High-quality 15 cm x 15 cm patchwork ruler
- Cutting mats are unique, beautiful, and self-healing
- Rotary fabric cutter blades feature high-grade stainless steel blades with a sharp edge
- Ergonomic, compact, and safe design
- Offers easy, smooth, and quick cutting of up to 6 layers
- Abundant high-quality firm sewing clips
- Beautiful and colorful mag flag push
- Rulers with amazing clarity with impressive durability
- Two professional cutters
- Cutting mats of two sizes
- Safe and ergonomic design
- Double-sided mats
- The product is slightly expensive
- 2 Professional Rotary Cutter: 45mm + 28 mm Zxiixz Rotary Cutter tool kit, 2 sizes to choose from, amazing clarity, sharp knife, suitable for cutting paper, denim, vinyl, and other materials. There are more sewing accessory kits. Great value Beginner Fabric Cutting Set combination. Clear scale, suitable for left and right hands, sharp blade, can cut up to 6 layers at a time.
- Value Rotary Cutter Package: 45mm + 28 mm Zxiixz Rotary Cutter kit, 12 extra blades, A5 & A3 cutting mat, random color patchwork ruler(15cm*15cm), 50* sewing clips, 50*map flag push pins, scissors, and other sewing leather accessories.
- 2 PCS Cutting Mat: 2 sizes, unique self-healing characteristics can protect your craft knives, straight knives, rotary knives, and worktables, double-sided usable, durable, is the perfect gift for makers and hobbyists. Highly recommended by craftsmen, quilts, and amateurs.
- Rotary Fabric Cutter Blades: Featuring high-grade, stainless steel blades with a lasting sharp edge and an ergonomically sculpted handle, this essential tool features a bent handle for keeping materials flat, for precise cuts all the way to the tip on a wide variety of materials.
- Strict self-command: Zxiixz Rotary Fabric Cutter is designed to perform in the most demanding production environments. Our fundamental goal is to provide the safest, highest value, great quality product at the most competitive price.
Best Quilting Supplies for Beginners: A Buyer’s Guide
As a beginner, you need the best quilting supplies for beginners and not all the tools available in the market. However, there are certain tools you need to look for in a supply kit.
You can get the fabric and colored threads as you like from anywhere, but the following are essential tools.
Rotary cutters are essential in a quilting supply kit. They allow you to create continuous cut and streamline cuts. That can be very helpful when quilting as well as sewing patchwork.
Also, prefer a rotary cutter that comes with a safety catch or a button. That will help you keep your family as well as yourself safe. Also, it helps in protecting the blade.
Cutting mat provides a cutting surface over your tabletop for various projects such as sewing and quilting. You will need a cutting mat whenever you are using a utility knife, scissors, or a rotary cutter. They safeguard your work surface from cuts, scratches, and other related damages.
Additionally, cutting mats can prevent your knife or rotary cutter blade from getting dull. They also have a marking grid that will guide you with measurement while cutting fabric. Also, cutting mats provide straight-line alignment to ensure your cuts are precisely straight.
There are usually two types of cutting mats available in the market. They are hard-surface cutting mats and soft surface cutting mats.
The hard surface cutting matter is rugged, smooth, and stiff. That will allow the knife or blade to skim over its surface without entering the mat surface.
Soft surface cutting mats are thinner than hard surface mats. Further, they are more flexible and softer. Usually, they will have 2 to 5 layers with 2 mm to 4 mm thickness. Also, the marks made by cutting will leave behind invisible or slight scratches.
Moreover, remember to pick a self-healing mattress that can heal itself after cutting. Generally, they contain small structures of elastic, which will allow the blade to pass through. That will ensure the cuts will not damage the cutting mat.
There are endless types of scissors available in the market. As a beginner, you may not need more than one type of scissor for quilting. So, you can look at all the types of scissors available and pick the one which is the most suitable for your job.
Additionally, various specialty scissors are coming out every other week to help make quilting an easier hobby.
Some of them are rag quilting snips, soft-touch titanium scissors, knife-edge applique scissors, and others. Each type of scissor comes with its own advantage.
For example, rag quilting snips provide spring action handles which will lessen your effort while quilting. In addition, they will pop right back into their place after every cut. Hence it can be beneficial when quilting large pieces of fabric.
Another example, blunt-tipped safety scissors are great for little clipping tasks. They can never puncture the fabric or cause accidental cuts on your skin. They are one of the safest scissors to use.
Pins provide excellent assistance while quilting and sewing. They can hold the seams temporarily before basting the layers together while quilting. Pins are simple in design, yet they are available in various types.
You can pick one based on your needs. Some of the types of pins are dressmakers pin, round-headed pins, silk pins, ballpoint pins, lace pins, fork pins, flowerhead pins, and more. On the other hand, you can use the simplest of pins, such as safety pins, T-pins, lills pins, and twist pins.
Rulers help you to make the necessary accurate cuts with rotary cutters and scissors. Therefore, you need an adequate-sized ruler with clear markings.
There are several types of rulers available in a quilting supply kit. Some of them are long ruler, medium ruler, short ruler, and square ruler.
Value for Money
Quilting supplies can be quite expensive. Therefore, it is important to invest in the right kind of materials.
You need to ensure the products you are buying last longer and work efficiently. Consequently, you will ensure the products are worth the money spent.
Is quilting an expensive hobby?
Quilting can be described as an expensive hobby since it requires resources and not just materials. It can become excessively expensive if you start by purchasing a fancy sewing machine, new expensive fabric, and superior grade tools. However, you can reduce the cost significantly by considering alternative options.
You can follow some of this advice as a beginner and slash the cost. Firstly, you can borrow some tools from other quilters; maybe they are your relatives or friends. Then, after some time, you can slowly build your setup.
Secondly, consider starting to quilt by hand. The above-mentioned best quilting supplies for beginners can be beneficial for such cases. It will go slower than quilting with a machine. However, you will get to know the fabrics better before going full-on with the devices.
You can use coupons and purchase materials when they are on offer. Also, join mailing lists so you may get notified when there are special store sales. Hunt down for fabric clearance sales which can offer you fabrics on sales anywhere from 30 to 50%.
Above all, as a beginner, start with smaller projects that require less effort and money. Therefore, you will not waste any of your precious resources.
You Might Also Be Interested In
What are some of the easiest quilts to make for a beginner?
Quilting can be complicated, which can make any beginner feel intimidated. However, there are some patterns you can try to get yourself started with this beautiful and exciting art. So, here is are some of the easiest quilting patterns for beginners.
You can start with a block quilt which is a quintessential traditional pattern. It has equal-sized squares, which are really easy to replicate throughout the fabric.
The second pattern is the fast four-patch quilt. It allows you to mix the previous design up a little. Also, you can experiment with the colors, arrangement, and size of the patches.
You can also try the simple strip quilt, the brick pattern, the rail fence quilt, or Tim quilts. Then, after some time of trying these, you can go for the pinwheel quilts, the hourglass quilt, the triangle quilt, and hyacinth quilt designs.
These quilts are simple; therefore, they can be perfect for those trying to improve at the craft.
How hard is it to make your first quilt?
It may seem immensely challenging to make your first quilt. However, it is not difficult at all. On the other hand, if you pick some complicated design, you may get exhausted and make many mistakes.
So, remember to choose a simple design. You can pick any of the patterns mention in the previous answer. All of them are easy, but you can pick up different colors to make them look complicated and colorful.
One of the critical things about quilting is maintaining the seam allowance. You need to ensure the patterns you have chosen remain the same size consistently. You can ensure this by using the rulers from the best quilting supplies for beginners.
The most challenging part is assembling the quilt top. This part also decides how big your quilt will be. Plus, making wise use of the tools and with a bit of patience, your first quilt will become easier than it seems.
I hope this article helped you clear some confusion before starting your exciting quilting journey. You can go through all of the products mentioned above and pick up what you feel is the best.
With a little hard work, patience, and the best quilting supplies for beginners, you can create a masterpiece! So, go ahead and start quilting!
|Image||Product Name||Our Rating|
|1. Singer Confidence Quilter 7469Q||Best Quilting Machine|
|2. Janome Magnolia 7318||Best Advanced Machine|
|3. Janome JW1800||Best Computerized Machine|
|4. Brother ST150HD||Best Heavy Duty Machine|
|5. Bernette 35||Best Beginners Machine|